NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Pets & Wildlife (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/)
-   -   kidney failure (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/17143-kidney-failure.html)

Babs 04-07-2007 11:50 AM

kidney failure

:( Anybody out there who knows anything about the impact of "Metacam" given to dogs as painrelief, but died a few days later of kidney failure?
Our two dogs( both Shi Tzu - 1- 5 years old, one 13 month old ).
one died in February, one in March of this year. Both were on dry food, but had a treat of can food once a week. We can't remember which can food we gave them as a treat, so it is very hard to proof, what actually caused the kidney failure. Our vet is not very helpful. Both pets died at the vets office.

We appreciate any help we can get.

Thank you all.
Babs:confused:

Doody 04-07-2007 03:31 PM

((Babs)) I am just so sorry to hear about your sweet companions. From what I read it is commonly used in dogs for arthritis type conditions and is a non-steroid. The only thing I read to the contrary about it is that is shouldn't be used animals with heart, kidney or liver disease.

Maybe if they had problems from the food the medicine could have pushed him over the top. It's hard to tell. Was the food you were feeding them once a week on the recall list, or, does that food have wheat gluten in it?

I'm not buying ANY pet food with wheat gluten in it. I bought a new bag of cat food yesterday and had a tough time finding any without wheat gluten but there are a few.

Check on the food you fed them, see if they had wheat gluten in them and go from there.

My deepest sympathies on your loss. :(

shiney sue 04-07-2007 04:04 PM

Hi i really sorry,that's a sad loss,they are posting a new list on cnn web .com and the sad part is the list keeps getting bigger...so sorry Sue:hug:

nymg 05-03-2007 10:28 PM

death of pets

dear Babs, I share your grief over the loss of your doggies. I lost one of my cats to kidney failure. He was the only one that was getting canned food in the house (to gain some weight). I do know his food was on the list. I kept him going for 6 weeks with home dialysis praying that the poison would wash out of his kidneys. But it did not. I do not think Metacam was responsible for your dog's deaths. I would blame the food. I have little Maltese dogs and have used Metacam on them and on my cats and never had a problem.

Babs 05-04-2007 01:10 PM

Metacam

So sorry to hear about your loss. yes it was very hard for us. We now have the files from the vet and he injected metacam, and gave us the meds to give to the dogs, while both dogs had already kidney problems. We learned now, that Metacam is a pain medication for arthritis and after an operation, but it can kill a pet with kidney problems. Our pets both had tainted food and still got metacam on top of it, which made matters worst. We will not step foot ever again into this vets office. He didn't do a blood test, instead he took a film of the back, which we never got to see, cause there was nothing wrong with the spine.
Well all the best to you and thanks for caring.
Babs:(

Curious 05-04-2007 02:00 PM

i just want to leave a :grouphug:

Doody 05-04-2007 03:01 PM

Me too. (((Babs))) :grouphug: