NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Elbows again (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/51752-elbows.html)

debbiehub 08-09-2008 08:09 AM

Elbows again

I don't know what to do- My elbows are losing all the tissue/muscle or what ever keeps them protected- You can actually see the boniness look of them and it is freaking me out and very painful! This feeling is starting in the other parts of my arm too. When I wear a lidocaine patch it helps some because it provides padding that is no gone. I am so frustrated and disgusted- Any advice. I am thinking of trying the hyperbaric again - I stopped last time because the pain became more intense but now I know that could happen and there may be a brighter road ahead.

Thanks for any thoughts

Debbie

DianaA 08-09-2008 02:54 PM

Hi Deb,
Sorry you are having a tough time again. This stuff is a full time job. I'm happy to hear you speak of possible HBOT again. HBOT in my experience is not easy. Now, that I have a home chamber it is a bit easier, but I seem to have side effects from HBO. My skin burns worse, then not sleeping much, plus having to go to the bathroom all night (at 2.0-2.4ata.)etc. But I always obtain good results after the fact! Some of the side effects stay for a short time after treatment. Also after the treatment, the improvement increase for a few weeks after. The RSD symptoms leave in this order for me. First, the swelling goes, therefore a reduction in pain begins, then my legs loose the red, purple mottled look and pain decreases some more. The benefits from there just get better with time until......one day I have to do it all over again.
But, I aways seem better than before. Good luck, dear....give it a go
Diana :winky:

debbiehub 08-09-2008 04:47 PM

Hi Diana

Do you think it will help with the elbows? I don't really understand what is happening to them but one doc said the muscles are atrophying - its so screwed up!

TY

Deb

DianaA 08-12-2008 10:32 AM

Deb,
I am not a doc, but I think that the lack of oxygen and lack of use cause atrophy.
So, it makes sense to me that if you could get oxygen and some use of your arms you would have less atrophy.
This is no doubt a horrible disease but I think I would give oxygen another go.
What does your doc say about HBOT?
Keep in touch.
Di

Jomar 08-12-2008 10:48 AM

A nerve compression can cause atrophy also.
That's what happens sometimes with TOS, a few of of the old time members had hand atrophy as well as a clawing of the hand, all because the nerve was being compressed.

I hope your drs have checked for any nerve involvement, if it's been awhile and this is a new thing, maybe a re- evaluation is needed??