NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   My Super Bowl Sunday (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/144474-super-bowl-sunday.html)

FaithS 02-07-2011 12:19 AM

My Super Bowl Sunday

My husband and I plan a Super Bowl party every year. It's kind of ironic, because I don't watch football. My husband is the technology guru in our group of friends, so that's how we got started being the planners, many years ago.

We hold it in the youth room at church. They have about 10 couches in there, I think, and we brought in a few chairs, so there was room for lots of people. We didn't think about counting, but, we estimated about 45 -50 people. I think that some years, when most of us had kids that were still at home, we may have had more in attendance. But, we're mostly empty-nesters now. And, for the size of the room, this was a good number.

My husband sets up one of the large church screens and uses the church projector. He has to put up an antenna outside to get TV reception down to the church basement. And, he uses his laptop to access the TV channel. Years ago, before laptops were common, and before the church had all their A/V equipment, he used to set up 3 TV's in a circle, in the middle of the room, with the couches surrounding them.

We had a somewhat eclectic group of people this year:
- Most were from our Sunday School class.
- The pastor and youth pastor and their spouses were there.
- There was a family from the local homeless shelter (with 4 kids: ages infant to 7).
- A few middle school kids. A few high school kids. A couple of college students. And, a few other local people who came with friends.

I didn't watch hardly any of the game (lol -- I usually don't!). Did some visiting with a few other women, and watched a video in another room for awhile. For part of the evening, I took the "mom" with 3 of her kids, to the preschool Sunday School room where they played with toys. There's very little space at the homeless shelter for them to do that, and they often spend most of their time in one small room.

I missed most of the commercials this evening, but, I watched a bunch online after I got home.

The food was awesome, as it usually is. But, of course, I had to use some wisdom in choosing what to eat. I managed to stay under 1400 calories for the day, even though my Super Bowl meal was over 600. Because I'd eaten carefully earlier in the day.

~ Faith

Dejibo 02-07-2011 07:38 AM

Glad you had a good time. Me? I dont watch sports, of any kind. I get upset when the news leads off with sports scores. This state is sports crazy. I do like the commercials, but am not willing to watch the game just to see them.

Its great that you could do something for others to be able to watch it.

DH asked our cable guy yesterday if he was getting "holiday pay" to work on a holiday. the poor guy looked confused and the DH said "its super bowl sunday! isnt that a holiday?" They both laughed. DH only watches soccer as he is from italy.

Kitty 02-07-2011 10:51 AM

Dej, I love to watch soccer. I think it's the only sport I understand, know the rules and can follow. Both DS's played soccer in high school. Football totally confuses me....even after years and years of going to games and watching it on TV. The only thing I do know about football is the 2 minute warning really doesn't mean 2 minutes! It's more like a half hour at least! :p

kicker 02-07-2011 11:01 AM

Kitty,
I don't understnd foot ball at all after all these years. I do enjoy watching half time and commenting - this year the sound stank in the beginning but got better, enjoyed the ads and then Glee afterwards. I like the food too- Buffalo Wings and Nachos this year.

FaithS 02-07-2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dejibo (Post 742102)
Glad you had a good time. Me? I dont watch sports, of any kind. I get upset when the news leads off with sports scores. This state is sports crazy. I do like the commercials, but am not willing to watch the game just to see them.

Its great that you could do something for others to be able to watch it.

DH asked our cable guy yesterday if he was getting "holiday pay" to work on a holiday. the poor guy looked confused and the DH said "its super bowl sunday! isnt that a holiday?" They both laughed. DH only watches soccer as he is from italy.

The only sports that I watch is some of the individual sports in the Olympics, when it's an Olympic year. I'm not into team sports at all.

Funny, about the "holiday pay". Was at Walmart on Saturday, and, it was busier, and, the parking lot was more full, than right before Christmas!

~ Faith

SallyC 02-07-2011 12:07 PM

I watched the game during the commercials of the SVU marathon, on USA.:D

My team lost...PFTTT!!

DD had A SB party, with all the goodies, but their team lost too...boohoo!

I like your party best, Faith.:)

FaithS 02-07-2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SallyC (Post 742162)
I watched the game during the commercials of the SVU marathon, on USA.:D

My team lost...PFTTT!!

DD had A SB party, with all the goodies, but their team lost too...boohoo!

I like your party best, Faith.:)

If you didn't live all the way in Ohio, you'd have to come next year, Sally. lol

~ Faith

Kitty 02-07-2011 12:35 PM

I cannot believe all the media speculation about Christina Aguilera messing up while singing the anthem. Good grief......are they that hungry for something to complain about?? :rolleyes:

SallyC 02-07-2011 01:29 PM

It was pretty bad..LOL. :D

The only SB Nat'l Anthem singing worth remembering was Whitney Houston's rendition, in 1991, IMHO!!

mochagirl13 02-07-2011 02:14 PM

Was that the only news??

Quote:

Originally Posted by SallyC (Post 742183)
It was pretty bad..LOL. :D

The only SB Nat'l Anthem singing worth remembering was Whitney Houston's rendition, in 1991, IMHO!!

I remember that when Whitney sang they released her version as a single and I think it made the charts. Those were the days when people actually sang. I think there are more important issues other than if Christina just messed up or if she had too much Jesus juice.:winky: