NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Burning fingers (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/28261-burning-fingers.html)

writerkaren 09-17-2007 05:38 PM

Burning fingers

Hi. I just got a new laptop. My old one was like 100 years old - in computer years that is. Anyway-I don't use a mouse, but use the little pad you run your finger across (forgot the name of it). I thought something was wrong with my computer because the pad was so stinkin' hot it was burning my fingers. But then I felt it with the back of my hand and it's just warm. Is this related to my MS? If so, what can I do? I'm a writer...I gotta do something!

Thanks in advance,

Karen

AfterMyNap 09-17-2007 07:12 PM

Hi, Karen! Are you taking anything for neuropathy? That kind of burning pain is fairly common among us, for some, it has a short life. If it persists more than a day or two, your neuro will want to know.

Also, please take care to avoid carpal tunnel injury. I find that a lot of my hand neuropathy increases when I'm leaning my wrists on the edges of my laptop.

MSacorn 09-17-2007 07:13 PM

Hi Karen
Welcome to the group :)

I have alot of sensory probs with my hands especially. I agree the mouse thingie on laptops is warm for my already hot hands. I know you can buy smaller mouses (mice?) to work with laptops. I use the arrow keys, enter key, and page up and down buttons for most functions.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

:hug:

SallyC 09-17-2007 08:12 PM

Hi Karen. :Wave-Hello:

I don't seem to have the burning fingers sensation. Just lots of tingling. AMN is right...there are meds out there that can help a lot with the burning.

I used to have the burning in my legs, still do, but not as bad, and used Neurontin. It did help some.

Congrats on the new laptop....I also use a laptop and no mousee.:D

writerkaren 09-17-2007 10:08 PM

Great responses and suggestions. I do find myself using the arrows more. And it's just the tips of my fingers so I can use the underside more...it'll just take some getting used to.

I took Neurontin for a while when I was having weird sensations in my arms but can't say it worked very well. I may need to look into a meese (haha)...but it seems awkward for a laptop. I'm just really used to it this way. I don't know much about carpel tunnel, except that it's from repetitive motions.

Thanks everyone!

Karen

katty 09-20-2007 10:20 PM

A little off the subject

Karen,

Sorry to hear about your fingers. What really interests me is that you're a writer. Do you feel that MS effects your writing? Sometimes I lose focus and I find it really upsetting.

Katty