NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Vitamins, Nutrients, Herbs and Supplements (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/)
-   -   Should Alan go off his fish oil for 7 days? (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/83588-alan-fish-oil-7-days.html)

MelodyL 04-07-2009 02:03 PM

Should Alan go off his fish oil for 7 days?

Hi to anyone who knows the answer to this one.

He's having a tooth pulled next week and he was told to go off of Plavix and aspirin for 7 days.

He just asked me if he could still take his Omege 3 fish oil supplement.

I said "I believe that fish oil is also a kind of blood thinner" but what do I know!!!!

So I'm coming here and asking the experts.

So if anyone thinks that Alan should also stop taking the Omege 3 for the next 7 days prior to having a tooth pulled, please let me know, okay?

thanks much

Melody

mrsD 04-07-2009 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelodyL (Post 492638)
Hi to anyone who knows the answer to this one.

He's having a tooth pulled next week and he was told to go off of Plavix and aspirin for 7 days.

He just asked me if he could still take his Omege 3 fish oil supplement.

I said "I believe that fish oil is also a kind of blood thinner" but what do I know!!!!

So I'm coming here and asking the experts.

So if anyone thinks that Alan should also stop taking the Omege 3 for the next 7 days prior to having a tooth pulled, please let me know, okay?

thanks much

Melody

I would go off. And here is the reason:
Alan has had aggressive anti clotting drugs for a long time.
The contribution of the fish oil is less, but added to the others,
it might be more. Fish oil is NOT a drug. It is a food. So going without for a short time is NOT a hardship.

Better safe than sorry! No loss by going off the fish oil, or stopping eating fish for a short time. He should be in a good place for healing. Vit C and some zinc will speed recovery.

High dose Vit E if he uses that should also be stopped.

MelodyL 04-07-2009 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 492721)
I would go off. And here is the reason:
Alan has had aggressive anti clotting drugs for a long time.
The contribution of the fish oil is less, but added to the others,
it might be more. Fish oil is NOT a drug. It is a food. So going without for a short time is NOT a hardship.

Better safe than sorry! No loss by going off the fish oil, or stopping eating fish for a short time. He should be in a good place for healing. Vit C and some zinc will speed recovery.

High dose Vit E if he uses that should also be stopped.

Thank you my dear Mrs. D!!

Much Appreciated.

Melody

BlueMajo 04-07-2009 10:36 PM

Yep. Stop it. My fish oil bottle says it has to be stopped if having surgery... removing a tooth is like a surgery right ? :D

Yeah, he must stop taking it :)

MelodyL 04-08-2009 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueMajo (Post 492888)
Yep. Stop it. My fish oil bottle says it has to be stopped if having surgery... removing a tooth is like a surgery right ? :D

Yeah, he must stop taking it :)

Thank you very much.

He stopped taking them, along with the plavix and baby aspirin.

Much appreciated

Melody

Vowel Lady 04-08-2009 01:00 PM

I've been told by a few people that Fish Oil might influence bleeding time...and could cause a person prone to bleeding to bleed more.

I agree with Mrs. D...staying off Fish Oil for a week, should not be a problem health wise and might have a little benefit in terms of bleeding.

It sounds like a wise move.

MelodyL 04-08-2009 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vowel Lady (Post 493135)
I've been told by a few people that Fish Oil might influence bleeding time...and could cause a person prone to bleeding to bleed more.

I agree with Mrs. D...staying off Fish Oil for a week, should not be a problem health wise and might have a little benefit in terms of bleeding.

It sounds like a wise move.

Hi Vowell Lady.

Alan is so busy eating my sprouts he doesn't have time to miss the fish oil.

lol

Thanks much

Melody