NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Chat (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-chat/)
-   -   Drug problems when we were growing up?? (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-chat/51689-drug-growing.html)

tamiloo 08-08-2008 01:40 PM

Drug problems when we were growing up??

Too good not to share...;)

The other day, someone at a store in our town read that a
methamphetamine lab had been found in an old farmhouse in the adjoining
county and he asked me a rhetorical question,
''Why didn't we have a drug problem when you and I were growing up?''

I replied: "I had a drug problem when I was young."

I was drug to church on Sunday morning.

I was drug to church for weddings and funerals.

I was drug to family reunions and community socials no matter
the weather.

I was drug by my ears when I was disrespectful to adults.

I was also drug to the woodshed when I disobeyed my parents,
told a lie, brought home a bad report card, did not speak with respect,
spoke ill of the teacher or the preacher, or if I didn't put forth my
best effort in everything that was asked of me.

I was drug to the kitchen sink to have my mouth washed out
with soap if I uttered a profane four-letter word.

I was drug out to pull weeds in mom's garden and flower beds
and cockleburs out of dad's fields.

I was drug to the homes of family, friends, and neighbors to
help out some poor soul who had no one to mow the yard, repair the
clothesline, or chop some firewood; and, if my mother had ever known
that I took a single dime as a tip for this kindness, she would have
drug me back to the woodshed.

Those drugs are still in my veins; and they affect my behavior in
everything I do, say, and think. They are stronger than cocaine, crack,
or heroin; and, if today's children had this kind of drug problem,
America would be a better place.
:wink:

FinLady 08-08-2008 01:58 PM

I was drug home a couple of times by other mothers in the neighborhood when I did something wrong. Couldn't get away with anything.

Kitty 08-08-2008 02:22 PM

I had a similar drug problem when I was growing up, too. Only I really didn't mind going to most of the places I was expected to go to.

The only place I can remember being "drug" to was the doctor's or dentist's office. As a child I was deathly afraid of the doctor....so scared I might have to have a shot!! I can remember kicking a nurse in the chest once :eek:!! And a bit a dentist once, too. My sister had taken me to that appointment and I can remember her telling my mother to never ask her to take me anywhere again!!

I've calmed down quite a bit since childhood...............:o

weegot5kiz 08-08-2008 02:26 PM

lol yeap and those other parents have my parents permission to crack our behinds too

I use to get drug pass my mom the school secretary to the principles office, got paddled there and then when i got home i got it again cause mom knew when i did bad at school

i liked that tammy thanks

tamiloo 08-08-2008 02:37 PM

I Olhipie's best friend and fellow road tripper...have thumb will travel from the 70's, sent that to him. My parents didn't drug me to them very much but the Olhipie's Mom and Dad drug him to everything!! So he tries to drug me to them.

Speaking back to his parents....we have decided that if they didn't go to every furneral and wedding of everyone they know and their kids and grandkids...why they would just sit around bored out of their gourd...:Dunno:

KathyM 08-08-2008 03:39 PM

I had friends with drug problems when I was growing up. It wasn't due to lack of discipline. Most of them were beaten regularly by their parents and dragged to church on Sundays. :o I think it had more to do with not being able to walk on their own two feet in society without some sort of crutch, combined by a desire to escape from the real world. :(

Methamphetamine addiction isn't restricted to unruly kids and "low-lifes" either. Many professionals have been known to become addicted to the stuff too because it gave them more "energy" to work long hours. Just like with alcohol, people don't start using meth with the goal of becoming a "meth head." It can sneak up on you, even when you think you have total control. Alcohol can be just as destructive to people, but you see it sold everywhere. :(

DAY1 08-08-2008 04:22 PM

I saw the title of the thread and Immediately thought of the song Drug Problem by the Bellamy Brothers.

I love that song. Keep thinking if things were still that way, we wouldn't have drug problems. (then I think "Man, I sound like my mom")

DAY