NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Stuttering (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/184068-stuttering.html)

MsRriO 02-15-2013 09:37 PM

Stuttering

My stutter goes completely away at times. At other times it is VERY pronounced when any of these occur
  • I have not slept well
  • I have had severe head pain
  • I have high emotional response to something

Or

• My brain is maxed out by cognition

Neuro psych says this is VERY odd. He says with speech issues due to injury it is usually always or never. No in between. He says it's very puzzling.

My question: does this on/off stutter happen to anyone else?

I keep thinking I can control it if I just tried harder and yet I fail every time.

Mark in Idaho 02-15-2013 09:40 PM

I disagree with him. Stress can cause any kind of symptoms.

There are plenty of NeuroPsychs who have different biases and mixed beliefs about concussions.

Concussion 02-15-2013 10:28 PM

I also disagree with him.

I will sometimes even go so far as respeat whole sentences, or even repeat phrases in the middle of something I am saying, as if its part of what Im discussing......I did this in my I.M.E. with the Psychiatrist for SSDI, he just stared at me, and began note-taking, no comments, while I was totally stressed........my drive home was, well, I'm still awaiting news......

Mark is correct. Stress, and our brains.......its a whole ball of wax, remodeling itself to fit its new self, and stress just bothers its remodeling process all along the way.

SpaceCadet 02-16-2013 12:22 AM

Fluctuating symptoms, aka the roller coaster, is very common for PCS. I find it "odd" that he doesn't know that. Then again, we probably know more about concussion/TBI than most doctors just from reading this forum.

It comes and goes for me too. It's much worse when I'm under stress or if my brain is flooded from overstimulation. Just the other night, I spit on the ground in front of a store and the security guard almost stepped in it, so I said "Careful not to spit...sit...STEP in it".

Ugh, it's embarrassing. But...what can we do??? :Oops:

As you can see...you're not alone. So I hope just knowing that will make you feel a little better.

Peace,

Nick

Anonxyz 02-16-2013 01:12 AM

I stutter, repeat, and pause a lot. Some days are worse than others. If I am over stimulated my speech is poor.

sospan 02-16-2013 05:50 AM

Me too, it only kicks in when I am tired or stressed

Abel_in_Fl 02-16-2013 08:13 AM

yea it seems to be on and off for me as well, like most symptoms I believe its a response to whatever triggers one might have

rmschaver 02-17-2013 08:41 PM

I do it occasionally. For me it might be a trigger. Mostly I think it is related to the slow processing speed I deal with. If I am focusing really hard and trying to be very specific is when it is noticeable.

MsRriO 02-18-2013 04:29 PM

Thanks everybody. Helps me feel validated. The neuro psych did not.

My stutter is a legit stutter that "sounds" like I'm faking it or something because its so acute when it hits.

It's "I I I I I I I can't nnnnnremember if if nnnnnnn if if if I I I I nnnnnn locked the nnnnnndoor" for example.

And then other times I have no stutter at all. Sometimes slowed annunciation (slight slurring) but not very often.

sospan 02-18-2013 07:02 PM

Having to prove you have a genuine symptom to a medical person seems to be a common problem amongst us