NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   Parkinson's & ECT - anyone with experience? (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/25960-parkinsons-ect-experience.html)

K Hamilton 08-15-2007 01:12 AM

Parkinson's & ECT - anyone with experience?

My psychiatrist recommended to me yesterday that it is time for me to look at having a series of ECT (Electro-convulsive Therapy) treatments to deal with my depression; medications are having less and less effect. He suggested two or three per week for 10 -12 treatments total.

What I have read so far is that it will have good effects on my Parkinson's, which could last up to a year.

What I would like to know is if anyone out there has experience with Parkinson's and ECT, DBS and ECT, or any combination thereof? Can DBS be done after ECT? Or can ECT be done after DBS? If I had to make a choice, I would go with the ECT. Parkinson's is a real pain in the rear, but depression at this level is ofter fatal, and there is still a corner of my brain that says "Hang on, help is on the way!"

Scared? Hell yes. Optimistic? Yes. Wondering how long I can count on relief from either? - of course.

Any thoughts & answers are welcome.

mamafigure 08-15-2007 04:55 AM

I would continue to research ECT. When I did so for my SIL I was appalled by the side effects from the procedure and couldn't find a way to recommend it. However, I know that there are many who think that it is a beneficial treatment. I strongly suggest lots of research before you decide one way or another.

Good luck to you,
Mama

oyster 08-15-2007 10:19 AM

k hamilton

i can sympathize with you. i have been dealing with depression most of my adult life. i believe it is also the first pd symptom that showed, phew, that was a bad time, about 8 years ago. dont give up on medication until you try all the different ones. lexipro was the last wonder and has been working for 5 years. i dred that it will quit working.
also, have you tried concerta? this drug has changed my life for the better.
you know, get out, be around people, do nice things for yourself, small steps of course, just one litle thing each day that you can do.:hug:

paula_w 08-15-2007 12:46 PM

Kris

I don't know anything about ECT, but just want to reinforce that voice in your head that is saying 'Hold on, help is coming.'

You are seeking help, doing what you can. One thing about retirement - it does free you up. I never planned my life to take place in the PD community, but now that I'm here - so much to do.

Hope you find what you need,
Paula

ZucchiniFlower 08-15-2007 04:13 PM

My father had PD and had ECT for depression that drugs couldn't touch. It did help him with his PD symptoms. And it helped a little for his depression.
Sorry, I can't recall more details.

K Hamilton 08-17-2007 06:40 AM

Friends

Thanks to all of you for your responses.

Z-Flower - Thanks. I'm glad your father found some relief.

Paula - I'm hanging on by a thread - I about lost it last night when I found out the local guy couldn't even get started with looking at ECT until Sept 27. More of the little blue pills are helping keep it glued together.

Oyster - My depression started when i was in High School, and I had my first really bad round in grad school - 37 years ago. I think it has operated independently of the PD, though I have no doubts that PD was responsible for the last round being so long and so deep, or for the current round being sudden and severe.

(Let me see if I can remember the list, just out of curiosity, I've never actually looked at the whole thing. I've got things in here for depression, ADD and anxiety: Xanax, Prozac, imiprimine, desiprimine, Concerta, lorazepam, Srattera, lexapro, lamictal, provigil, celexa, effexor, temazepam, aleropam, Buspar, Remeron, Wellbutrin --and I'm sure there were a couple more I've forgotten.) They all have the same pattern - they work fine, we adjust dosages until things are stable for six or twelve months, then we start increasing dosages to maintain the effect, until we are maxed out, then start another which first means cutting back on the levels of one so that it doesn't cause really harmful side-effects.

The Parkinson's meds are doing much the same thing, which I guess is the normal thing for them. Until we get the depression stuff sorted out, then we can't even begin to look at DBS, which I am certainly interested in.

Mamafigure - What sort of side-effect's did you have? The one's that I have looked at so far are temporary short-term memory loss, and short-term balance problems - which should when they fade away leave ne in better shape than I am now with PD. I'd be curious to learn more.

Rereading all of the above I'd be inclined to give myself a sarcastic "Alas and alack! Oh, woe is me"; except that I know all too well where this can lead. Thanks to you all for listening to me, and I'll keep hanging in there. One thing I know from past experiences - God will be carrying me, even when I can't see Him. But He won't keep me from leaping out of his hands either - it's this darn free will thing that he gave us.

Love to all