NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/)
-   -   Shoulder/Neck Bulges (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/66713-shoulder-neck-bulges.html)

o2bponca 12-17-2008 05:28 AM

Shoulder/Neck Bulges

Does anybody have "spongy" bulges on the top of the shoulders, close to the base of your neck?

These popped up on me about the time my neurogenic symptoms first did. Even though I hadn't gained any weight or anything, I had two doctors say they were "new" fat, one said the top of my lungs were protruding through my rib cage (yeah, right! - just all of a sudden?), and the other one just totally blew me off like I'm a hypochondriac.

Many times when my neuro symptoms start up, the pain is right over these bulges.

Any ideas?

Carrie

Jomar 12-17-2008 09:17 AM

yes at times, I know others have swelling or even lumpy areas in the area.
some of it could be lymph swelling - I don't know if anyone has ever been told what else it might be.
possibly inflammation, scalene or SCM swelling or spasmed muscles?

I really don't know about the lung thing:confused:
Maybe some of our nurses could speak to that.

FluteMaker 12-17-2008 09:45 AM

have you considered cushings? a 'buffalo' hump is trademark of cushings

(Broken Wings) 12-18-2008 12:30 AM

:)

My thoughts would be maybe try an ice pack to reduce the swelling. there was a tip for ice packs (1part alcohol 2 part water. freeze for a slushie.) Ice may be an irritant, but I can use ice sometimes and it helps. I usually tolerate it without overicing, but cold in not good for my upper body so I do maybe 8 to 10 mintues. Sometimes I double wrap a handtowel around the bag of ice.

Also I have found good luck with Lidocaine 5% (nonnarcotic) transdermal patches for painful spots like yours sounds. There's another patch - Flector. new. has anti-inflammatory medicine in it too. that might help some.

Is it constant or much worse at times? If it's at times, I'd try to figure out the offending activity that might be causing this flare.

some light tough massage might help if it's fluid.

I let the showerhead beat my scalenes, neck, back with hot water, for as long as I can. at times I have reduced the hot and turned up the cold for a quick cold shower on my lower back, to tolerance for temp and time. it's cold but I have tostie rob waiting (hang on my doornob which happens to be over the vent-winter / summer-dryer while I'm showering.) :wink:

Quote:

Originally Posted by o2bponca (Post 429056)
Does anybody have "spongy" bulges on the top of the shoulders, close to the base of your neck?

These popped up on me about the time my neurogenic symptoms first did. Even though I hadn't gained any weight or anything, I had two doctors say they were "new" fat, one said the top of my lungs were protruding through my rib cage (yeah, right! - just all of a sudden?), and the other one just totally blew me off like I'm a hypochondriac.

Many times when my neuro symptoms start up, the pain is right over these bulges.

Any ideas?

Carrie

gibbrn 12-18-2008 12:52 AM

massage a good idea

hi,
It may be a good idea as (broken wings) has suggested. If it is lymph accumulation then it could help to decrease the size of it. It that doesn't help get a doctor who is willing to actually take you seriously....sorry .....are there any left! Considering what you have been through!!!
Lungs???? I can see if you have shortness of breath or some other lung issue like a barrel chest or something to suggest you have a breathing problem!!
Any old excuse to get you the hell out the door incase they have to actually work you up....hmmm lets just take the money and run!!!

Sorry feeling a little cynical.
I really do suggest that you try massage on one of your days..if you know a good one or have one..make sure if you don't have one to get a good recommendation from someone as there are a lot of crappy ones...no offense but I have had my share to get to good ones!!

hope some of that helps.
take care,
Love and Hugs,
Victoria:hug:

DiMarie 12-18-2008 04:26 PM

Quote:

Any ideas?

Carrie

HI Carrie, there is one thought that I had that Dr. Steve Annest explained to me about the same thing along my spine. The nervebundle is inflamed and the muscles protect it by responding as a splint wrap around.
As the brachial bundle comes off the spine and behind the collar bone the muscles may be protecting it. Mine are not spongy on my shoulders, they are rock hard and a defined slope to the shoulder.

If you gently press behind the raised area toward the shoulder with fingers, and in the front of the sponge area with your thumb near the neck front area massage it a biot. Use heat, and gentle range of motion and stretches to keep mobility.

Another thing you may notice is a swan neck; reverse curve, that causes a hump on the upper back.
This is postural, and in TOSers not a windows hump, but the revers curve if you picture a S backwards, that is what is happening, I feel like my head rest on the upper back.....

When I flare, the knife in the upper shoulder blade KILLS.
The best thing that helps me with this muscle trigger point mess is the hot tub. Dr. Togut use to say loosen up to use a hot bath, but the energy to get into and clean the bath mess kills too...I also use 10 mg generic valium, about $9 once a day for anti-spasm.

Just my thoughts
di

MJA - TOS 12-20-2008 01:03 AM

I have a lg lump on the right side of my neck where it meets the shoulder and a smaller lump on the left side in the same area. Had two ct scans and they are noncancerous lipomas. So they are just fatty lumps. They just slowly appeared until they were quite noticable. According to my dr there is nothing to be done for them.

M

tylersproudmom 07-20-2009 03:35 PM

Thank you for making think I'm NOT crazy!!!

Carrie, I just read this and got tears in my eyes. For a couple of years now I have had swelling throughout my body - especially heavy on the left side and extremeties. About 6 months ago, I was diagnosed with "coxsackie disease" - also known as the "devils grip". Yes, it feels like the devils grip all right! I was a smoker (until 3 months) ago, developed double pneumonia and was hospitalized for 6 days. I do have emphyzema in the upper portions of both lungs. I also have "spongy" bulges on the top of my left shoulder and on the very top of my left shoulder, which now goes down into the top part of my armpit. They keep getting bigger - the doctor told me it's my inflammed lung protruding from the rib cage / chest cavity??? I'm being referred to the Mayo Clinic to find out what's wrong (but, the appointments are over 6 months out). I'm miserable on a daily basis and would so welcome any insight you or anyone else may have. I will be sure to share any information I feel is relevant as well. Thanks!

Quote:

Any ideas?

Carrie

tied 07-20-2009 05:21 PM

not spongy - golf balls

the lumps i get are golf ball size and feel, not spongy. if u get someone to press on the golf balls long enough, they release and go away.

however, my dad has lymphedema in his his legs that feel spongy. he has also had the lymph fluid build up and burst, then had to get it sewed up.

i agree massage may help. they are going to try some kind of leg massaging unit for my dad's legs. the worst leg is the one they put the stint in.

the important thing to remember with massage is to massage away from the heart.

beth 02-09-2010 01:22 AM

This sounds to me like a case of severely spasmed traps - from someone who's had "lumpy" shoulders for 6 years now and is thoroughly tired of it!