NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Pets & Wildlife (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/)
-   -   Garter snake came in my house (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/157569-garter-snake-house.html)

LIT LOVE 09-20-2011 06:56 AM

Garter snake came in my house

And I'm skeeved out. He blended into the carpet and I keep thinking I usually walk around barefoot, and frequently with the lights out. I know he was harmless, and that I'm overreacting, but that doesn't seem to be helping.

I've come across rattlers when I used to hike and they didn't particularly freak me out, I'd just avoid them by back tracking etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

BlueCarGal 09-20-2011 07:54 AM

Well, whats the "rest of the story"? Did you have a bad time getting him out?

What I would do with my grandson is have him be the snake and see what it's like with me trying to get him out of the house. Should at least get some good laughs if you can find the right kid to play with:rolleyes:

mrsD 09-20-2011 08:32 AM

Oh I can really commiserate with that critter in the house.

Our cat Oreo brings in live critters (so far no snake tho) all the time and has taught our new kittie Weezie to do the same!

We had a mink frog at 1am upNorth, jumping around the bedroom and screaming (I didn't know they made that sound)
and I had to get the Oreo net and catch him and take him out!
(luckily I shut the closet door just before they moved towards it. Getting him out of THERE would be difficult.

I love nature but I confess I get eeeuuu
those things are in the house. I typically react with a screech of my own. Hubby and I have become very good with the net! We use a butterfly net that is sold for kids, to remove critters.

I think a snake would be difficult and very fast and alarming!
Have you removed him yet? One ploy we have done is leaving the door open to "outside"...many live critters will leave if given the chance. Second idea is a dark box for him to hide in....provide one, and check often to see if he is in it. Make the opening rather small...as they like that. Check your sunny areas often, because snakes need to warm up. Maybe he is looking for a warm place for winter?

Kitty 09-20-2011 09:04 AM

Ee
would be a frightening experience. Even though it's a harmless snake - it's still a snake - and I totally understand the fear even just seeing one can cause. I know everyone says "they're as scared of you as you are of them" but that still doesn't make me feel any better! :o

Until you locate him I think I'd wear my shoes in the house. Do you have any indoor pets? They'll find him for sure. Here in GA there was just a story on the news about Copperheads being found in homes due to the lack of water outside. They're looking for a drink.

Good luck finding him and getting him back outside. Hopefully you can find the access area he used to get in there in the first place. Maybe put a shallow pan of water near a dark area and see if that's what he wants. MrsD's suggestion of a net is good, too. At least you can keep him confined until you can get him outside again.

LIT LOVE 09-20-2011 11:53 AM

He was removed within a half an hour. I checked online and it said to contact the fire department. I didn't know what type of snake he was at that point. My glasses were in the bedroom with him, and the sucker was fast, so I wasn't going to chance it in case it was a baby rattler.

So, the physical problem was resolved quickly, and intellectually I get it's a non-issue at this point, but I had to turn the lights on and put shoes on when I got up through the night. And I keep checking the carpet like a new one will appear!

Kitty 09-20-2011 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIT LOVE (Post 807333)
And I keep checking the carpet like a new one will appear!

Just be aware that it's a possibility. If it were me I'd wear shoes all the time in the house now!

I'm not sure where you are geographically but here in GA snakes are trying to find water and they're appearing in some very unexpected places. I just assume all snakes are poisonous and keep my distance from them.

I'm glad to know he's been relocated and isn't intruding in your space anymore. :)

curlydawg 09-20-2011 01:01 PM

If ya can't beat em, eat em!

LIT LOVE 09-21-2011 10:48 PM

Thanks, I'll wear shoes and be careful of not allowing access to new critters in the future. I thought I was maybe overreating.

Lara 09-21-2011 11:21 PM

Well done to the fire department. That's really good they came and got it out for you. We have snake catchers here. They'll come and retrieve the snake/s and relocate them back in the bush. Any type of snake in the house is a scary thing. Yikes.

Dr. Smith 09-22-2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 807240)
One ploy we have done is leaving the door open to "outside"...many live critters will leave if given the chance.

Umm... While that's true, IME, that's also how many of the critters have gotten into our house to begin with - drawn to warmth, smell of food sources, water, curiosity(?).... and we have had that idea backfire; the mate/parent of the intruder came looking for its lost one.

Over the years, our abode has been invaded by all manner of bugs, birds, bats, mice, squirrels, chipmonks (3 this week alone), stray cats & dogs, raccoons (2 this past winter), and snakes. (I'm probably leaving something out but I just woke up.) This has resulted in certain procedures we've adopted:

1. Stay calm (or get control, or find someone who can)
2. Control any children/pets until
3. Identification of intruder & assess possible danger/risk (venom, rabies, bird flu, etc.)
4. formulate an appropriate eviction plan
5. execute same

HTH,

Doc