NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Spinal Disorders & Back Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/)
-   -   Is this a problem? (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/13242-is-this-a-problem.html)

printerhead 02-12-2007 10:46 AM

Is this a problem?

Hi Guys!!

As you know, I am going in for 2 level ACDF on wednesday morning at 8 am...As of this morning, monday..I seem to have developed a slight sore throat..and some other minor cold symptoms. I have been waiting for this procedure for 5 months or more, and am not going to tell my neuro....i don't have a fever,and my symptoms are mild. Is this stupid??? :eek:

Thanks,
Dave

~KELLWANTSANSWERS~ 02-12-2007 12:13 PM

No it's not stupid.I would take some echinacea and vitamin c{1000 mgs per day}.Starting today.
They will boost your immune system to help fight off the sore throat.
If i am wrong about the echinacea..Someone correct me..But that's what i do when the first signs of a cold are coming on.It really kicks it outta there fast!
If you are sick.They may not do the surgery!
If you are concerned about taking this so soon before surgery.
Make a call to your doc and ask to be safe.
In my opinion, it would be better than doing nothing and just hoping it goes away!
Take care

Curious 02-12-2007 01:02 PM

david...make sure you call and talk to your dr before taking anything. the blood work they did is based on what you normally take. any otc supplement can effect your blood work.

you might have picked up a cold when you went for the blood tests. :rolleyes: sad huh? but others might have been there getting blood taken cuz they were sick.

when lil'monkey had surgery, she had a slight cold. no fever. no infection. just the runny nose thing. it didn't stop them doing surgery.

:hug:

printerhead 02-12-2007 01:57 PM

Good advice guys,
just don't wanna mess this up. the pharmacist said vitamin c was okay, so i did that...feelin better already! after weds. i dunno when i'll be on, will try to get my wife char to post an update for you all!
be well, Dave :D

GJZH 02-12-2007 09:53 PM

Dave,

I find that usually before a surgery I develop a sore throat and sniffles...Unless you develop a fever they will usually do the surgery, but it depends on your surgeon. I think it is nervous jitters you are experiencing, but I might be wrong...I hope you feel better in the morning...

I would not take vitamins or over the counter meds as they might interfer with the anesthesia ....They advise against that and insist that you usually stop those type things about ten days before surgery....Call your surgeon if you are uncertain...I think it is your nerves...Good Luck...

printerhead 02-13-2007 10:50 AM

Thanks everyone!

Woke up today with the sniffles, earache (both ears)..and still sore throat..If it's nerves, they are really ticked off!! hahaha
Good News...NO FEVER
I think I can hide the rest.
I am off to make another investment in the Florida Orange Juice cause...LOL

Thanks again everyone!! keep your chins up!
Dave :wink:

printerhead 02-13-2007 10:51 AM

Just remembered..Have I told you all how much I love you all???
Happy Valentines day!

Curious 02-13-2007 10:55 AM

so dave...where's the chocolate? :wink: :p

:hug: rest rest rest today. hope you feel better...and NO FEVER!!!!

printerhead 02-13-2007 11:21 AM

hahaha!!
I'd send you all some if I could!! I bought Chocolate covered strawberries for my wife..they came yesterday since I am "busy" tomorrow. She loved them!
Be Well,
Dave :grouphug:

GJZH 02-13-2007 12:37 PM

Happy Valentine's Day Dave! Good Luck! Do not think about tomorrow...Rent a movie...a comedy...something light and funny...a love story...something mushy...a chic flick...anything to keep your mind off the surgery...You will do just fine! Your are in my thoughts and prayers!:)

Good luck!

Gloria