NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   Long Term Disability Ins. (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/194898-term-disability-ins.html)

NorCalGal 09-30-2013 12:44 PM

Long Term Disability Ins.

I didn't want to hijack the Hawiian lady's thread but Soccertese brought up LTD Ins. I purchased a policy shortly before I was diagnosed and other than paying the monthly premium haven't looked at it since. Now that I'm looking at DBS surgery in Dec I really should probably give it a peek but other than in home care what should I expect from a policy?

Thanks for any replies. Diana

Tupelo3 09-30-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCalGal (Post 1018687)
I didn't want to hijack the Hawiian lady's thread but Soccertese brought up LTD Ins. I purchased a policy shortly before I was diagnosed and other than paying the monthly premium haven't looked at it since. Now that I'm looking at DBS surgery in Dec I really should probably give it a peek but other than in home care what should I expect from a policy?

Thanks for any replies. Diana

This sort of depends on the policy, Diana. The most common policies typically payout a monthly amount. up to a cap, which is a percentage of previous income. Many plans also will have provisions for home care (as you said), as well as rehabilitation costs, travel fees, and other ancillary costs. You should definitely look at your policy as there is a good chance you qualify now, especially if you have the DBS.
Good luck,

Gary

reverett123 09-30-2013 02:51 PM

Unless you are very fortunate....

You can expect a truly maddening experience as you deal with corporate Evil of the First Order. <But Rick, tell us how you really feel.> :D

If you have been working for a really big employer whom the insurance company wants to keep, it may be different. But otherwise you can expect the worst. How bad? Remember the question about when you had your tonsils out? July 15, 1949? Well, guess again Bubba! Their crack fraud unit has found that you LIED! It was July 14, 1949!!! And you are a crook and your policy is void.

You may think that I am exagerating, but it really can be that bad. If you filled out a highly detailed application, then you may be lucky. The crooks review your claim at the time of injury looking for loopholes. The better ones review everything when you first signup so that problems can be dealt with.

You might want to call the state insurance commissioner and ask aout the company as well.

HarryM 09-30-2013 05:31 PM

Thanks to my Canadian Health Care I'm worry free in that area.

Bob Dawson 10-01-2013 01:57 AM

Harry,
Canadian health care pays doctor and medicine. Does not replace your income when you are incapacitated.
Long-term disability insurance is supposed to do that. Rick is right - they are bandits. Watch out for "pre-existing condition". Did you have any sign of PD before you got insurance? Are you sure? The slightest twitch? And when did you become disabled? How disabled? Do you still have 5 minutes of "ON" time in a day? Well then your insurance is cancelled.
It's a scam.

HarryM 10-01-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dawson (Post 1018882)
Harry,
Canadian health care pays doctor and medicine. Does not replace your income when you are incapacitated.
Long-term disability insurance is supposed to do that. Rick is right - they are bandits. Watch out for "pre-existing condition". Did you have any sign of PD before you got insurance? Are you sure? The slightest twitch? And when did you become disabled? How disabled? Do you still have 5 minutes of "ON" time in a day? Well then your insurance is cancelled.
It's a scam.

You are correct, Dr, & Meds only. Fortunatly the income aspect is not a problem.