NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   almost cut my thumb off! (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/149267-cut-thumb.html)

Dejibo 04-28-2011 01:45 PM

almost cut my thumb off!

I have a fridge full of goodies, and no room left, so I decided to make a big pot of chicken soup. Get rid of a ton of veggies, and so on. MIL keeps the room so dark. I turn on the light, she turns off the light. I was using my veggie slicer and she turned off the light on her way out. I thought...oh well, im almost done, I will just finish this carrot and be done. OOpsie! Hacked into the nail part of my right thumb, slicked it down deep, but it peeled across the center of the nail. OUCH! My God that stings! Couldnt get to the sink, cause its full of stuff, and all the towels are soaked in whatever juice was being wiped up. You just dont appreciate how organized your space is, until someone else makes it their space. I grabbed paper towels and headed for the toilet.

DH freaking out, swearing about throwing out my veggie slicer, and MIL is giving me instructions on how to better slice veggies next time. UGH! I want to deal with the massive amounts of blood and check my wound before I learn about veggies of tomorrow please.

I cleaned it out very well using good antiseptics, and then placed it all back together. Since the nail lays back down over the wound I decided to not get it stitched. I made it super clean, and then used surgical glue on it.

im tired. i have been out of my schedule this week, and its hard to be constantly awake, alert and on the run. I am having a good time, but if I was going to do this full time I would have to put my foot down and change things. MIL is wonderful but has no concept of why I am tired, or need to rest, or why the hot apartment we visited made me go blind, and wobbly.

OUCH! it really stung! ever do something really stupid when you knew better? I KNEW I should go turn on the light. I KNEW I should have made more room to chop. I KNEW I should have done it my way, but I was trying to be nice, and not make waves.

UGH!

viseeu 04-28-2011 02:37 PM

Dej... I love you but would you please listen to that little voice that says turn on the light, make more room? :mad: Your MIL is a sweet lady, she can understand if you let her know you MUST have more light with your visual problems!!

You might do without your thumb, but I think you will do better with it :cool:

I'm sorry you hurt ur lil self pumkin. :hug:

SallyC 04-28-2011 02:56 PM

Awwwwww and ouchy!!!:hug::hug:

barb02 04-28-2011 03:23 PM

At Thanksgiving, I was using an apple corer/slicer and the apple was stuck. So what do I do? Stick my thumb in to push the apple out.:o Three stitches and a tetanus shot later, I throw the apple corer away.

cally 04-28-2011 04:48 PM

Sorry about your boo boo dejibo glue is a wonder ive done that twice it sure smarts next time more light ok:hug:

Dejibo 04-28-2011 04:54 PM

never realized how much I use my R thumb til every time I try to use it ZING! it stings, burns, and aches. I showered and re wrapped it and I did a great job putting the peices together. it will mostly be hidden by the nail, so good job! now if I can figure out how to scracth my bum without it, or grab the cat or wipe the table, or change the channel on the TV. Sheesh!

mrsD 04-28-2011 04:56 PM

I hope you are not in major pain.

My son sliced the tip off his finger 2 Xmas' ago when we were there for dinner.

I had given him a new food processor, for a gift, and he mishandled the blade and it sliced his fingertip off....we could not find the piece to put back on! (I had done this with a cutter doing ceiling tiles many years ago, and I stuck the piece back on and it grew back).

I never saw so much blood. And he had terrible pain. Only a Walgreen's open on Xmas and they didn't have any OTC benzocaine or equiv product there.

It all worked out in the end, days later...but the pain was pretty bad for him. So I hope your pain is not so terrible!

Dejibo 04-28-2011 07:19 PM

The pain was deep for a while, esp in the early minutes of the cut. I washed it out with antiseptic stuff, and that really ate a hole in my head from the pain. I saw in the medicine cabinet some sore throat spray meant to numb your throat and kill bacteria when you have a bad cold. I used it! Ahhhhh! After getting all the peices put back together and taped in place the pain was less intense. I could focus once again.

I have pain pills galore here at the house, and can take my pick. I took some extra helpers and now its just really quite sore. If I bang it, stretch it or try to do normal things with it, I am reminded quickly about how deep this thing actually is. I will surely lose the nail in the end, but for now, it made a perfect cap for the wound.

The things we do to avoid the ER, yes? Im not going there, unless I am spurting blood and need the thing sewn back on.