NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Lesions (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/206197-lesions.html)

SarahSmile0205 06-28-2014 11:22 PM

Lesions

I was taking with my uncle tonight... he had to have an MRI with contrast on his head because he is going through cancer treatment and they were looking for tumors...

So after they told him that he had a spot on his frontal lobe... but it had to have been old... He said that when he was in third grade he and another kid ran around a corner at the same time and knocked heads... he is now 56...

amazing how they can still see the damage...

Clearly his is permeant damage, hopefully we can all get answers to our issues sooner than 45 years later!

Living_Dazed 06-29-2014 01:45 AM

Wow. That's a long time. I am optimist about our advances in science but a pessimist that at this point we have so little understanding of the brain. It's such a big scope of thought to imagine someone(s) figuring out how to heal us all with my first two sentences in mind.

I hope the best for your uncle.

SarahSmile0205 06-29-2014 08:25 AM

Compared to the advances in cancer... we are so far behind in the study of the brain... but it is so very complex.. there has been a lot of research in the last 10 years... i am very hopeful that this would never happen to someone in this day and age...

My uncle is now cancer free... this is the second loved one diagnosed since my accident that is now cancer free...

Bruins88 06-29-2014 08:55 AM

Wow thats crazy. Im glad he is cancer free, that is amazing!

About the lesions, I finally found out thats why the Dr is ordering the MRI. Hes looking for scar tissue that might of formed after the incident 7 months ago. He told me that evidently it takes anywhere between 6-9 months for scar tissue in the brain to harden. Says its a long shot because the ct scan never showed a brain bleed, but he needs to rule it out. Says if there is scar tissue that would be the reason the seizures developed starting at the very end and early start of month 5 and 6.

SarahSmile0205 06-29-2014 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevbo887 (Post 1078872)
Wow thats crazy. Im glad he is cancer free, that is amazing!

About the lesions, I finally found out thats why the Dr is ordering the MRI. Hes looking for scar tissue that might of formed after the incident 7 months ago. He told me that evidently it takes anywhere between 6-9 months for scar tissue in the brain to harden. Says its a long shot because the ct scan never showed a brain bleed, but he needs to rule it out. Says if there is scar tissue that would be the reason the seizures developed starting at the very end and early start of month 5 and 6.

Well that would make sense as to why my problems are getting worse... My body produces an exorbitant amount of collagen and therefore more scar tissue than a normal person... I asked in the beginning if this would be an issue and my GP said no... I am guessing that is not the case... I hope my latest MRI shows something that explains this!

What does the scar tissue do to the brain?

Bruins88 06-29-2014 09:49 AM

Ouch, I hope all works out for you!

As far as scar tissue in the brain, from what I understood is that its dead tissue with colagen in it. As it hardens the colagen will try to escape and could cause complications. For the most part its not dangerous at all, but could be the cause for epilepsy in brain surgery and tbi patients. Dont quote me on this, as im not even 100% sure I understood correctly.