NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Face neuropathy? (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/231142-neuropathy.html)

braveheart-70 01-15-2016 06:45 PM

Face neuropathy?

I've been dealing with lower back pain and foot numbness/pain for 9 months. My back pain has improved but, my feet are getting worse. I've been diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy and my neurologist is running a bunch of lab work to determine what the cause is. Recently the PN spread from up legs and into the tip of my fingers. Today my lower face and jaw is tingly. Anyone else have neuropathy spread to their face? This is scary.

madisongrrl 01-15-2016 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braveheart-70 (Post 1193544)
Today my lower face and jaw is tingly. Anyone else have neuropathy spread to their face? This is scary.

I'm sorry that you are dealing with this. Facial neuropathy is indeed scary. But you are in good company here. Many of us have facial neuropathy - numbness, tingling, burning etc. I even get extreme burning on the back of my head and neck.

What type of tests did your neurologist order?

janieg 01-15-2016 11:58 PM

You're definitely not alone. Next to my feet and legs, my face and scalp get it the most.

Please don't be surprised if all your testing reveals no obvious cause. It's the same with a lot of us here.

Diandra 01-16-2016 12:56 AM

Yes, I have neuropathy in my face. i am sorry you are experiencing it also.
My face neuropathy came from having Lyme Disease.
It is the worst in cold weather. Having cold air from something like a car air conditioner hit my face is awful too. It is the worst on my right so I always have to sleep on my left side.

I control my neuropathy with Lyrica and Hydrocodone. B vitamins.
I also use lidocaine/prilocaine cream.
I avoid sugar and spicy foods.
I have done sensitivity work and that will work for awhile.
I have done hypnosis for pain control.
I do chi-gong, tai chi, meditation in groups or guided imagery via YouTube or dvd's.
From time to time I get cervical spine ESI's(Epidural Steroid Injection).

I truly hope your neuropathy does not progress any further.
take care, D.

mountaingirl6179 01-16-2016 12:29 PM

Me too...

Yes I have neuropathy in my face. I haven't read about too many people with this. I have small fiber neuropathy that started in my feet, lower legs, and spread to my hands. One night I accidentally ran out of gabapentin and felt the neuropathy pain and tingling in my scalp and face. I have an agonizing "itch" there as well. I'll never, ever run out of gabapentin again! :eek:

braveheart-70 01-16-2016 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madisongrrl (Post 1193588)
I'm sorry that you are dealing with this. Facial neuropathy is indeed scary. But you are in good company here. Many of us have facial neuropathy - numbness, tingling, burning etc. I even get extreme burning on the back of my head and neck.

What type of tests did your neurologist order?

Thanks for your comment. She ran about 20 blood tests. I don't understand about half of them. However, I do know I have a low positive ANA. No lupus or cancer markers and no diabetes. I had a higher copper and ferretin result. Normal B12. She wants to do a spinal tap next. That totally freaks me out.

Healthgirl 01-17-2016 08:57 AM

I have it everywhere too. Yesterday my daughter did something funny and I was laughing. The laughing hurt my face and took all the funniness away.

mrsD 01-17-2016 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braveheart-70 (Post 1193741)
Thanks for your comment. She ran about 20 blood tests. I don't understand about half of them. However, I do know I have a low positive ANA. No lupus or cancer markers and no diabetes. I had a higher copper and ferretin result. Normal B12. She wants to do a spinal tap next. That totally freaks me out.

I'd get that checked out. High ferritin can be a sign of iron overload disease (hemochromatosis).

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...s/dxc-20167322
some doctors are unfamiliar with this.

I'd also get that B12 result... as labs still mark low values (below 400pg/ml) as "normal".

DavidHC 01-17-2016 01:05 PM

A few months (3 or so) after my SFN started in my feet and hands, and my back hurt a great deal at this time, the tingling started in my face. Thinking back though, I had some face tightness and eye lid and cheek twitching going back months before the SFN even 'started'. It can be scary, but you get used to it, I guess. Funny what you do get used too with a chronic illness.

I hope hope you have some improvement and feel better. Easier said than done, but if you make your peace with your condition and what's happening to you, it can (perhaps significantly) improve the symptoms. But it takes a while for that to happen, and getting new symptoms everywhere doesn't help.

Quote:

I've been dealing with lower back pain and foot numbness/pain for 9 months. My back pain has improved but, my feet are getting worse. I've been diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy and my neurologist is running a bunch of lab work to determine what the cause is. Recently the PN spread from up legs and into the tip of my fingers. Today my lower face and jaw is tingly. Anyone else have neuropathy spread to their face? This is scary.

baba222 01-17-2016 01:27 PM

Quote:

Yes, my is intermittent. It is sometimes bee stings, sometimes sharp. It is painful to touch my face and to be touched.

So sorry for your suffering.