NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Hey MrsD :) (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/18560-hey-mrsd.html)

Yorkiemom 04-29-2007 11:27 PM

Hey MrsD :)

Can you think of any reason why an elevated dose of steroids might cause any of the burning being discussed lately? I know it makes you retain sodium, but could this have anything to do with burning that you can think of?

Cathie

mrsD 04-30-2007 05:08 AM

Hi Cathie...

Chronic use of steroids depletes nutrients, which may lead to symptoms eventually.

A simple short term steroid intervention, would not likely cause burning.

Could you clarify your question?

Yorkiemom 04-30-2007 08:01 AM

Clarification on steroid question...

I am trying to remember how this seems to happen without writing a book here...

When flareups of connective tissue disease have required a bump up in steroids, for example from 5 to 15 mg, at 15, the burning seems to set in (if I am lucky enough to be having a break), or worsen considerably, then improve gradually as dose is reduced.

Sometimes, an increase has been necessary because of lung involvement diagnosed as early pneumonia. Other times-post surgery flareups, etc.

I haven't kept a journal on this, but maybe I need to. Noticing this several times has made me wonder if there is some sort of correlation.

Cathie

mrsD 05-01-2007 05:07 AM

Okay, I understand now...

But I don't have a real answer tho.

The adrenal glands like other endocrine glands in the body is run by the
pituitary/hypothalamus using a feedback loop.

This means that when hormone levels are low, the pituitary releases signaling
hormones to tell the end gland to make more, and the reverse.
Thyroid/sex hormones/adrenal work this way.

When you give Prednisone or other steroids, you shut down the feedback loop and the adrenals are stimulated less. Since Prednisone is only ONE of the types of hormones made, then when the adrenals shut down, other substances become less as well. This may upset the balance and somehow affect the
nerves.

Also steroids stimulate glucose manufacture in the liver, this raises blood glucose levels and we know that this is a prediabetic state, and affects glucose metabolism in the nerves. (sorbitol pathways damage the nerves)

There may be more than one effect when steroids are used, I think.

Brian 05-01-2007 06:14 AM

Hi Cathie, I don't know if this is any value to you or not, but after enjoying many months of no burning in my feet or legs, i had a corta steriod injection in my bad hip and within 15 minutes after the procedure my feet & legs were on fire again, only lasted a day or so though then the burning went away again, thank god. I was told by my GP that even though the steriod is suppose to stay in the area it was injected, there is still leakage of the steroid from that joint.

Brian :)

Yorkiemom 05-01-2007 10:58 AM

Hi MrsD and Brian.

Thanks for the info. Guess I need to get off of as much sugar as possible.

What you described was interesting Brian. I had forgotten that with the trigger point injections, I do get some flareup in burning for a few days... I try not to get them very often-more steroids to add to a body on them now since 1993-not good...

Funny, how on one hand they help; on the other they cause problems...

Cathie