NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   Crazy question-what would happen if.... (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/88716-crazy-question-happen.html)

lurkingforacure 06-03-2009 04:41 PM

Crazy question-what would happen if....

If PWP have inflammation in the brain (and everything I have read suggests this is true), then why can't we just get the most powerful anti-inflammatory we have into the brain?

While we spend gazillion dollars trying to figure out how the brain's inflammatory process works, what sets it off, why it won't turn off, etc. and etc. and etc., would it be so crazy for someone to just inject cortisone into the living brain and see what happened? I know, it's too absurd...... but really, why not? I keep remembering the rhumatoid arthritis drug that was injected into the neck of those Alzheimer's patients with spectacular results. Now, I don't know if the coginitive improvement held, but something huge definitely happened, and it happened within minutes. You can't call that a placebo by any stretch of reality.

I can just see us trying to get our neuro to do this..."You guys want me to do WHAT?????" But I am serious-anyone know what might happen???

girija 06-03-2009 05:55 PM

Lurkingforcure,
I remembered I had this info on cortisone, and found it! Just for your information!
Girija

Immune Suppression and Neuronal Toxicity

Immune suppressants are required for differentiated cells derived from embryonic stem cells and for bone marrow transplants to prevent severe graft versus host reactions. Immune suppressants often include corticosteroids (cortisone) that in elevated concentrations are toxic to neural progenitor cells and new neurons. Therefore the use of these immune suppressants could be counterproductive in stem cell therapies for neurological disorders, particularly those involving learning and memory. Umbilical cord stem cells can be beneficial in treating neurological injuries and disorders if the stem cells are well tested for purity and potency so that immune suppressants are not needed.

Corticosterone enhances neural toxicity in the hippocampus.

Chronic corticosterone impairs inhibitory avoidance learning

Corticosterone reduces mitochondrial membrane potential in hippocampal neurons

Glucocorticoids can cause hippocampal cell death by apoptosis and necrosis
[

QUOTE=lurkingforacure;518804]If PWP have inflammation in the brain (and everything I have read suggests this is true), then why can't we just get the most powerful anti-inflammatory we have into the brain?

While we spend gazillion dollars trying to figure out how the brain's inflammatory process works, what sets it off, why it won't turn off, etc. and etc. and etc., would it be so crazy for someone to just inject cortisone into the living brain and see what happened? I know, it's too absurd...... but really, why not? I keep remembering the rhumatoid arthritis drug that was injected into the neck of those Alzheimer's patients with spectacular results. Now, I don't know if the coginitive improvement held, but something huge definitely happened, and it happened within minutes. You can't call that a placebo by any stretch of reality.

I can just see us trying to get our neuro to do this..."You guys want me to do WHAT?????" But I am serious-anyone know what might happen???[/QUOTE]

reverett123 06-03-2009 06:11 PM

alternatives

Our bodies already have a love-hate relationship with the cortisol and similar hormones and I would hesitate tampering with what seems to be a tightly regulated detente with the immune system.
However there are others, particularly the plant-based ones. One is turmeric which keeps Ron ticking right along.