NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Methyl B-12 Oral Dosages (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/221589-methyl-12-oral-dosages.html)

DannyT 06-14-2015 11:30 AM

Methyl B-12 Oral Dosages

I have been taking 1,000 mcg B-12 methylcobalmin first thing in the morning. My question is whether to up this to twice daily or perhaps purchase the 5,000 mcg version of tablets. I know that only a small amount is absorbed so I want to make sure to optimize my intake of this vital nutrient.

Thanks
Dan

caroline2 06-14-2015 11:47 AM

Do you know your lab reading: the range in my area is 211-400. My B12 has been coming in high as I've been taking B12 Methyl for many years. I still take 2000mcg Now Foods Methylcob just about every day. My doc has no issues with my B12 being high and the lab reports it Optimal. Some folks I know take 5000mcg and I think too many take 1000mcg daily which I believe is too little. Why not work with the 2000mcg tabs for a while. Or go with the 5000mcg...again do you know where your readings are? I think most are deficient anyway. My B-12 are lozenges dissolve in my mouth. C

mrsD 06-14-2015 12:00 PM

If you raise your doses, you might see faster results. You won't need the higher doses, after about 3 months.

Taking on an empty stomach will optimize your absorption. Food may negate any benefits. Studies have shown about 13mcg absorbed orally from 1000mcg dose. This is about 3 times the RDA.

Dividing up your dose thru the day may result in better absorption. But that depends on how much transcobalamin is available in the small intestine to accept the B12 for transport. Research into transcobalamin is still new however.

Mark in Idaho 06-14-2015 12:40 PM

From what I have read in the past, the range for B-12 is 400 to 970 picograms/ml. Now I see it as 110 to 1500 picograms/ml.

I keep mine at about 1000.

Auntie Audrey 06-14-2015 12:41 PM

“Dividing up your dose thru the day may result in better absorption. But that depends on how much transcobalamin is available in the small intestine to accept the B12 for transport. Research into transcobalamin is still new however.”

Hi mrsD, would you mind elaborating a little more on your understanding of this new transcobalamin research? What factors determine how much is available for B12 transport?

Usually I read that methylcobalamin should be taken in one large dose per day. I used to take 5000 mcg once daily, but I did recently switch to taking 3000 mcg in the a.m. and 2000 mcg in the p.m. because I thought it might help with absorption, but this was not based on anything scientific. Thank you!!

Laupala 06-14-2015 12:50 PM

What's the difference between methylcobalamin and cyanocobalamin? I've been taking 500mcg per day of the latter for nearly a year now, is that not as good as the methyl version?

mrsD 06-14-2015 01:40 PM

Cyano is synthetic and some people cannot convert it to the active methyl form.

So since the methyl is now available inexpensively, one can skip the old form and use the more helpful methyl one.

This is the table from the study that actually measured B12 after dosing:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...able/T1/#TF1-4

500mcg is tolerable but not as good as 1000mcg. You would probably pay the same for both. So why not have the best?

This is the B12 informational thread:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread85103.html

Transcobalamin is a rather new topic...and little research has been done on it. It is thought to be a genetic error, like the MTHFR problems. The whole oral B12 thing is very new too.
Most of the studies just measure patient response, and do not go into the bioavailability etc., since it is expensive to do so.
And many doctors don't even know what methylB12 is.

I have read that it might be possible to flood the GI tract and get passive absorption and results even if transcobalamin is defective. Hence the high doses would work this way.

But this is still pretty rare, and not germane to most of the users on this forum who just want to speed brain healing.

There are many forums on the net who get into endless discussions on the factoids of B12 therapy now. It is really confusing and I believe for the most part, the general public is not really going to accept all of that. So best to just start logically and see what happens. Estimates today are that about 40% of people in this country are needing B12 supplements ....the reasons can be many, and some very rare.

Auntie Audrey 06-14-2015 03:49 PM

Thanks for your response. I really haven’t been able to tell if the divided daily doses are any more effective than the one larger single dose, but I think I’ll stay with the divided doses until more definitive information becomes available.

caroline2 06-14-2015 03:58 PM

I keep lab reports handy, and in recent years I've been working on lowering homocysteine levels and prior to getting them lower, my B12 came in at 797 and a year later working with homo formula, my B12 level is now 2000. So I'm actually taking more than 2000mcg daily as homo formula contains B12 too...

Galaxy1012 06-15-2015 01:59 AM

Is it OK to take a b12 and folic acid supplement with a b50? A b50 has folic acid and b12 already in high amounts so will it be harmful to the body and too much of b12 and folic acid if we take an additional suppliment of that ? Can both supplements be taken together?