NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Annette Funicello and CCSVI (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/178180-annette-funicello-ccsvi.html)

Aarcyn 10-16-2012 02:52 PM

Annette Funicello and CCSVI

This is an update on Annette Funicello. Warning: the images of her condition today may be found disturbing. Truth is that reality is not always "nice."

http://www.ctvnews.ca/w5/annette-fun...rosis-1.984202

I could not help but notice that her legs are permanently bent and her hands fisted. I can relate to this particular spasticity.

I had the CCSVI procedure in August. My legs can now straighten, I am more limber. I have regained movement in my right leg and can now put on my shoes without struggling.

Finally, how can I not love that husband of hers? He treats her with so much love and dignity.

Kitty 10-16-2012 03:24 PM

Oh. My. Goodness. That was sad, scary and depressing. Her DH is a saint. She's very fortunate to have the means to receive that level of care.

Does she have any other diagnosis in addition to MS? She is extremely and profoundly disabled. Probably the worst case I've ever seen.

Aarcyn 10-16-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitty (Post 923163)
Oh. My. Goodness. That was sad, scary and depressing. Her DH is a saint. She's very fortunate to have the means to receive that level of care.

Does she have any other diagnosis in addition to MS? She is extremely and profoundly disabled. Probably the worst case I've ever seen.

Don't know. From what I could glean from the clip, she has Primary Progressive like me. No mention of any other disease/problem.

The minute I saw the bend of her knees, I thought about how I have had the same sx. If my veins close again, I will go back for another treatment. And stents if need be.

One of her jugular veins was completely closed, did you catch that? I was at 50% on both sides before they were ballooned.

carebear01 10-16-2012 05:37 PM

what a wonderful man he must be. Gotta say though that after watching this, I'm a bit scared. I'm at a relapsing stage but am wondering why her fists are so tightly clenched. Mine get like that and I don't know why. They are like that at times during the day, but mostly at night. What a beautiful relationship they must have had.

KittyLady 10-16-2012 06:45 PM

I was wondering how she was doing. Thank you for posting this video. I have seen patients this bad before. It use to scare me to death, but not anymore. I didnt know she has PPMS. She sure made the right decision for a dh the second time around. What a great man.

Jules A 10-16-2012 07:07 PM

Thank you so much for posting this. I agree her DH is wonderful and I'm selfishly happy they are coming forward so the world might catch a glimpse of how awful this miserable disease can be.

Sadly I have cared for many patients with similar conditions because of MS which is probably why I'm not as sunny and optimistic as many people are regarding our prognosis. :(

Blessings2You 10-16-2012 07:16 PM

I wonder if her children are involved in her foundation?

TheSleeper 10-16-2012 07:40 PM

The first time I have seen the video, but I knew she was in bad shape. After a few visits to the Cleveland Clinic`s Mellen MS center you realize she is not alone in her struggles.

Aarcyn 10-16-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carebear01 (Post 923202)
what a wonderful man he must be. Gotta say though that after watching this, I'm a bit scared. I'm at a relapsing stage but am wondering why her fists are so tightly clenched. Mine get like that and I don't know why. They are like that at times during the day, but mostly at night. What a beautiful relationship they must have had.

my left hand clenches all the time. DD and DH will signal me to try to have me keep it open. Plus I recently broke my left thumb in a bad fall so it is weak and I have difficulties with opening a jar.

And...I also even more recently broke my left big toe. Gotta figure out how to stop my brittle moments. It hurts to break bones.

My right hand clenches but not as much. It is also weak, it was weaker than my left but now? Don't know.

After the MS dx, I was scared but now, not really. I place one proverbial foot in front of the other knowing I am not given any kind of future. I have today, the immediate now.

SallyC 10-16-2012 09:12 PM

I grew up with Annette. I feel so sad for her terrible progression. :( Seeing her as she is now, is a shock and yet, I look in the mirror and see changes and premature aging due to MS in my own self and I'm 2 years older than she.:eek:

I wish her well and am glad she has the fame and the dough to have the good 24 hr care she receives and needs. I wish all of the ill, in her condition, could have similar care. Maybe her foundation could do that for peeps. I think that would also make her happy.