NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   Help!! (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/86979-help.html)

xmas 25 05-14-2009 12:25 PM

Help!!

i've tapered up to 60 mg tid over 4 weeks. today i took 8am and 11:30 am with food as always but------. i can feel and see my muscles all over twitching even in throat neck,arms and my abdomen.is this just a reaction to medicine or something else. i'm afraid because i'm home alone.my phone is next to me in case i need to call 911. i'm not usually nervous but it has me spooked!!!!!!! what is it? help needed from the experts.i will probably call wonderful dr in the next 1/2 hr if it doesnt lesses thanks

maryec 05-14-2009 02:08 PM

When I first started my mestinon, I got the rippling muscle sensation, the muscles twitch repeatedly on there own, I had it in my back, rib cage area, arms & legs, around my mouth. The doctor told me it was the mestinon, & it happens sometimes with the weakened muscles & your body getting used to the dosage. If you, start having trouble swallowing, & breathing, or extreme weakness, call 911, don't wait !

Joanmarie63 05-14-2009 03:34 PM

I myself would call the Dr. Not having taken medication for years now I can say I really do not remember the twitching. If you are scared or have trouble breathing go to ER otherwise call the Dr. Please update us and let us know. {One thing I do remember when I was on 60 pred if I missed a dose I knew it}

xmas 25 05-14-2009 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joanmarie63 (Post 510208)
I myself would call the Dr. Not having taken medication for years now I can say I really do not remember the twitching. If you are scared or have trouble breathing go to ER otherwise call the Dr. Please update us and let us know. {One thing I do remember when I was on 60 pred if I missed a dose I knew it}

thanks it is the mestinon i'm taking to start.i was able to fall asleep and woke up 95% better!! talked to nurse who confirmed the muscle rippling,twitching is side effect. i have added 4 th dose some days with good results thanks
:grouphug:

ras1256 05-14-2009 05:33 PM

Hey Xmas,
Do you notice more sweating or salivating as well as the twitching. These are symptoms of possibly taking too much Mestinon. Definetly call the doc and see what they think.

Too much can be as bad as not enough, and increase the weakness as well. I have had twitching alone that didn't worry me too much, and I've had the overdose symptoms.

It's a tight rope sometimes, but you'll get familiar with how much you need as you gain experience. Let us know how you're doing and what the doc says, ok?

erinhermes 05-14-2009 11:32 PM

Hi Xmas!

HEy there! I, too, "twitch" due to the Mestinon - not fun! I take 5 - 60 mgs a day and the BIG boy @ night - 180 in addition to 30 mgs of pred right now.

My suggestion is to always have the phone by you and someone you can call in case you EVER have problems breathing - have a code or something like punching in a number in case you can't speak...........

Once the med situation is figured out you will feel so much better!

Hang in there!
:hug:Erin:hug:

cricket001 05-15-2009 10:05 PM

OMG..:Sob::Dunno::Bang-Head:..SWEATING.....I am sweating like crazy!! I am so sick of wet armpits and reapplying deodorant! I have tried all the "expensive" over the counter stuff.."clinical strength" or so it says on the box....

Stephanie

Quote:

Originally Posted by ras1256 (Post 510277)
Hey Xmas,
Do you notice more sweating or salivating as well as the twitching. These are symptoms of possibly taking too much Mestinon. Definetly call the doc and see what they think.

Too much can be as bad as not enough, and increase the weakness as well. I have had twitching alone that didn't worry me too much, and I've had the overdose symptoms.

It's a tight rope sometimes, but you'll get familiar with how much you need as you gain experience. Let us know how you're doing and what the doc says, ok?

erinhermes 05-16-2009 12:17 AM

Hello Cricket!

HEy hon! I too have also noticed that I sweat more, though I do not know if it is due to the pred or the mestinon - my neuro seems to think that it is the roids........as for the deodorant - nothing seems to work for me recently.......clinical strength - my butt!:D LOL

How are you feeling? Are you stonger today?

Big hugs!
ERin

Quote:

Originally Posted by cricket001 (Post 510784)
OMG..:Sob::Dunno::Bang-Head:..SWEATING.....I am sweating like crazy!! I am so sick of wet armpits and reapplying deodorant! I have tried all the "expensive" over the counter stuff.."clinical strength" or so it says on the box....

Stephanie

ConnieS 05-16-2009 12:27 AM

Yikes!

YEs yes yes!! I hate the sweating too. :eek: :ranting: Lol... Clinical strength doesnt seem to mean anything anymore. I'm also perspiring a lot more in my palms and feet, holding things a little difficult as its so slippery. any of you experienced that too? wake up in the middle of some nights with a lot of perspiration all over too.

erinhermes 05-16-2009 12:34 AM

YES!YES!YES Connie!

I set my thermostat between 65-70 every day and sleep with 4 fans, yet still wake up soaked to the skin.....

Also, anything above 50-60 outside just sets me off! I look like a drowned rat if I have to go anywhere.......:( Used to be cold all the time - now the opposite............

AUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConnieS (Post 510820)
YEs yes yes!! I hate the sweating too. :eek: :ranting: Lol... Clinical strength doesnt seem to mean anything anymore. I'm also perspiring a lot more in my palms and feet, holding things a little difficult as its so slippery. any of you experienced that too? wake up in the middle of some nights with a lot of perspiration all over too.