NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Food re Post concussion recovery (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/205700-food-re-post-concussion-recovery.html)

clemente 06-16-2014 07:47 PM

Food re Post concussion recovery

Looking for any feedback food has had on the recovery of PCS. I had 3 concussions ending 12 months in 2008. I still suffer some headache symptoms and find that protein or sugars seems to alleviate the symptoms. It is not a normal hunger headache. Many thanks for any feedback.

Mark in Idaho 06-16-2014 09:54 PM

Every head injury is different. If you have found something that works for you, you are fortunate. I need complex carbs to help me with insomnia.

Eowyn 06-17-2014 01:02 AM

My headaches really started clearing up during the depression recovery program I did when I began eating a whole foods vegan diet high in omega-3s and tryptophan. I maintained that diet for two years and still find that I am less headachey with it than without it.

MomWriterStudent 06-17-2014 04:40 PM

I feel like blueberries and salmon make me feel really good. Wheat and sugar make me feel terrible. Completely terrible. I try to avoid them, but it's hard because I have been having some insane sugar cravings lately. (I usually hate sugar, so this is weird for me)

I ate half a cake yesterday. It was a homemade cake with 3 sticks of butter and a ton of sugar, so you can imagine what a bad idea that was.

ETA: Forgot to mention that I heard sweet potatoes are good for concussions. I have been eating more of them lately.

I've been trying some of the recipes found here: http://www.drdiane.com/weekly-recipe-lemony-quinoa/

The recipes are created by a doctor. A neuro-psych, I think.

doreoh 11-11-2016 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eowyn (Post 1076191)
My headaches really started clearing up during the depression recovery program I did when I began eating a whole foods vegan diet high in omega-3s and tryptophan. I maintained that diet for two years and still find that I am less headachey with it than without it.

hi eowyn! i am contemplating going vegan for numerous reasons, including daily headaches. i was wondering if you could please share more information regarding your experience with a vegan diet? what was the transition like? any resources you would recommend? thanks :)

Mark in Idaho 11-11-2016 07:36 PM

doreoh,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. Please feel free to introduce yourself and tell us how we can help. Have you suffered a concussion or more ?

Have you heard of the anti-inflammatory diet ? It may be more targeted at your needs.

doreoh 11-12-2016 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 1228587)
doreoh,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. Please feel free to introduce yourself and tell us how we can help. Have you suffered a concussion or more ?

Have you heard of the anti-inflammatory diet ? It may be more targeted at your needs.

hi mark, thanks! yes, i've sustained several concussions and my most recent one (aug 19) has resulted in post concussion syndrome. i have headaches everyday, all day & experience major fatigue. i haven't tried the anti-inflammatory diet. have you tried it? where can i find more info?

metmike07 11-13-2016 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doreoh (Post 1228600)
hi mark, thanks! yes, i've sustained several concussions and my most recent one (aug 19) has resulted in post concussion syndrome. i have headaches everyday, all day & experience major fatigue. i haven't tried the anti-inflammatory diet. have you tried it? where can i find more info?

After noticing that eating more refined carbs (pasta, rice, flour) one day made my head feel much worse, I cut them out of my diet completely. I went full ketogenic (low carb/high fat), and have been for 7 months or so. That point was when I really started making progress with my recovery from PCS. I still have symptoms if I jostle my head around too much, but it no longer rules my life.

I surmise it is the anti-inflammatory properties of the diet, so I would second looking into that type of lifestyle. Whole food, no sugar/flour, no processed food. Something of that nature. Doesn't have to be as extreme as going very low carb, but cutting out the worst offenders will do wonders.