NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   qualified for disability today (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/195690-qualified-disability.html)

e1ectric 10-15-2013 06:18 PM

qualified for disability today

11 months into it.

qualified for social security disability. 57 y/0 pharmacist. well should read former pharmacist. this is good now after I settle the auto claim which is moving forward and other paperwork my stress load should drastically decrease.

now I can concentrate on getting better.

like all truly injured ppl. I am happy but cried because I want my mind back.

Hopeless 10-15-2013 10:28 PM

That is great news. You have been on a rough road. Maybe some of the bumps will smooth out for you. Yes, now you can spend time on your health.

Thanks for sharing the news.

Concussion 10-16-2013 09:38 AM

Congratulations, e1ectric,

It is a good feeling to have at least that one aspect under your belt , isn't it?

Now really settle back awhile..... relax, breath awhile, let time have some time.......

The litigation side will take the time it takes......

I know I have been waiting too........

Best Wishes......... :grouphug:

Mark in Idaho 10-17-2013 12:14 AM

e1ectric,

It just dawned on me how fortunate you have been to be approved at 11 months. SSDI is rarely approved before 12 months. In fact, the application is usually not accepted until 12 month after ceasing work. There were initiatives started 5 years ago or so to speed up the process for the severely disabled and those with permanent and/or declining MCI (mild cognitive impairment) such as Alzheimer's. Plus, there were initiatives to speed up approval for those of us over 50 years old.

It took me almost 3 years to the day to get approved. I got 3 years back SSDI pay but no reimbursement for my health care plan that was replaced with Medicare upon approval for SSDI.

Count it as a small silver lining to a horrible storm cloud.

My best to you.

gdanger 03-11-2014 07:04 PM

Congrats

I am two years into my MT disability case, which has been rejected three times. I just found out today that I in 20 days I have a hearing for my case. However the judge has a 28% approval rating and I feel like no matter what I will be rejected. Any words of advice?

Hopeless 03-12-2014 10:45 PM

Dear gdanger,

Having an ALJ assigned to your case with a very low approval rate is terrifying but that is not to say that you won't be one of those that gets approved. Do not assume that you will be in his/her denial category. You could be one of those that makes up his 28% approval rate. Better to think of yourself as being IN his 28% than not.

Just be honest and forthright at your hearing. Are you represented?

Let us know how your hearing goes and what your ALJ was like.

You might want to also post your question on the Social Security forum.

I just happened upon your post as I do not usually view the TBI forum.

forumposter100 03-14-2014 07:16 AM

PCS and SSDI

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdanger (Post 1056380)
I am two years into my MT disability case, which has been rejected three times. I just found out today that I in 20 days I have a hearing for my case. However the judge has a 28% approval rating and I feel like no matter what I will be rejected. Any words of advice?

Curious did your injury initially document a concussion\head injury where you sought treatment? I see you have not had medical care which makes it difficult to show you need care. I would try to gather anything from the time of your injury all medical related stuff and detail what you go through from day to day. I dont think the medical community fully understands what we go through but research is showing how significant head injuries can be. I also think they lead to depression and other issues that make things much more difficult.