NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Which supplements to start with? (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/50564-supplements-start.html)

Leslie 07-23-2008 03:51 PM

Which supplements to start with?

Since being diagnosed with PN I have been reading this site eagerly regarding the supplements...

I was diagnosed 2 mths ago and a reason for the PN has not yet been determined so I am having trouble determing which supplements to start using.

I am presently taking neurontin (2400 mgs a day), tramadol (1 or 2 as needed every 8 hrs), and amitriptylene (1 before bedtime). Yesterday I started 5000 mcg of B-12 methyl as recommended on this site. Can feel a difference already...

Can anyone advise which of the supplements I should I try next? So far all blood tests have some back negative. The MRI of the head was done (no problems there other than a missing brain!!) and now he wants an MRI of the spine.

I have been suffering so since the end of May and I do so appreciate everyone taking the time to share their knowledge and research.

I have already passed this site to another PN sufferer and particularly the info on the B-12 and supplements. Hopefully she'll take this info and run with it and that you'll have made a change in a second persons life!:hug:

Silverlady 07-23-2008 11:08 PM

Definitely a good quality fish oil

If it were me, that's the next one I'd take. I use Nordic Naturals because I don't get the fishy burp from those. But some of the others use cheaper brands with no problem. Then a good multi-vitamin. I'll have to do some research to get the list for you. But these should give you a start. I use the fish oil three times a day.

Billye

diagnonsense 07-24-2008 12:43 AM

From what I gather the B-12 seems to be the "big one"... and you said you got that covered. :)

I take a multi-vitamin. Omega-3, and calcium. (just myself personally, and my Dr.'s think all those are perfectly good things to take)

peanutfessy1 07-24-2008 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 329680)
Since being diagnosed with PN I have been reading this site eagerly regarding the supplements...

I was diagnosed 2 mths ago and a reason for the PN has not yet been determined so I am having trouble determing which supplements to start using.

I am presently taking neurontin (2400 mgs a day), tramadol (1 or 2 as needed every 8 hrs), and amitriptylene (1 before bedtime). Yesterday I started 5000 mcg of B-12 methyl as recommended on this site. Can feel a difference already...

Can anyone advise which of the supplements I should I try next? So far all blood tests have some back negative. The MRI of the head was done (no problems there other than a missing brain!!) and now he wants an MRI of the spine.

I have been suffering so since the end of May and I do so appreciate everyone taking the time to share their knowledge and research.

I have already passed this site to another PN sufferer and particularly the info on the B-12 and supplements. Hopefully she'll take this info and run with it and that you'll have made a change in a second persons life!:hug:

Try Copper:) take Zinc and C separately

MelodyL 07-24-2008 12:32 PM

You've hit the jackpot with the B-12. I also take Fish Oil, CoQ10, Chromium Picolinate, B-Complex, and god knows what else I take.

The bonus with the B-12 (in addition with stopping the burning), was that my hair grew in. I had very thin hair at the top of my head. I have been using Jerome Russell Spray on Hair to give me the illusion of having hair on top of my head.

Well guess what?? I went to the beauty parlor and the beautician said "wow, your hair is filling in nicely".

I then noticed that ..yes indeed, on the top of my head where I used to see only my scalp, I now see HAIR!!!

Hey, it's not perfect, but I GOT SOME HAIR THERE.

Maybe as I continue to take this, I'LL HAVE MORE HAIR.

So it's a winner, this Methyl B-12, on ALL COUNTS!!!

Mel

Silverlady 07-24-2008 10:24 PM

Another post

There is a post (SOMEWHERE) from either Mrs. D or Wings42 that lists all the supplements it takes to heal from neuropathy. I've searched when I had spare time today but havn'e had much because of move. Perhaps if you use the search function and ask for all the posts from either David (Wings 42) or Mrs. Doubtfyre you could find the supplements. I wish I had more time to look for it. If I do stumble upon it I'll post it for you.

Billye

Leslie 07-25-2008 04:58 PM

Found the list

Thanks, I found the list of recommended supplements posted by mrsD and Wings42.