NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Has anyone stopped dreaming since their concussion?? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/223227-stopped-dreaming-concussion.html)

kdog22 07-19-2015 02:39 PM

Has anyone stopped dreaming since their concussion??

I"ve always been a big dreamer, dreaming almost every night, remembering and writing down my dreams, many of them lucid. Since my concussion 4 months ago, I have only recalled one night of dreaming. I really miss my dream life and wonder how the lack of it is related to concussion/brain activity
or if anyone is experiencing this??

Beelzebore92 07-19-2015 02:47 PM

Hi Kdog,

I'm sorry that you feel at a loss. I'm actually at the opposite pole— my dreams have become so vivid since the last tbi, and they seem to be getting converted into concrete, long term memories, to the extent that they almost spill over into my waking life and become hard to discern from sense/experiential memories. It has been very strange.

donniedarko 07-19-2015 04:41 PM

Sometimes I kinda wish I actually didn't dream as much because ever since my concussion I feel pain in my dreams. Like, if I hit my head on something or someone hits my head in a dream, I actually feel the pain. Really bothers me as this is so strange to me.

I wonder if your situation might have a chemical basis. I know that people who smoke marijuana regularly don't dream as much, or don't dream at all. When I was a regular smoker I barely ever dreamt. Just a guess though. Have you spoken to a neurologist about this?

MicroMan 07-19-2015 05:04 PM

There was a similar thread posted on this last week, I believe. Regarding dreaming, it was 9 months post-concussion that I finally had a dream. I thought this was very odd, but my dreams have returned.

Bud 07-19-2015 06:07 PM

I just told my wife I started dreaming in color again last week.

I have always been a vivid in color dreamer but it all went away till last week.

There was a rice field we were going to fertilize (real life at work) the night before it was scheduled to be done I dreamed I was watching my pilot enter the field and he didn't like his line into the field so he backed the airplane up, He kept going straight down into the field and when he realized it wasn't going to work he just reversed it and started over.

Bud

twohandles 07-22-2017 08:40 PM

I've also noticed less dreams, though perhaps we also have memory impairment that affects their recall. I used to write down my dreams and feel through them like artwork, and I miss that. Though perhaps I have less energy now to work on them.

mussbsweet 07-25-2017 05:41 AM

I had this too ! Wow i do not feel so alone now. I havr started to dream again. I'm not sure at what point post Concussion i started back. But it was much later, like 1yr.

brandnewconcussion 07-25-2017 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdog22 (Post 1156105)
I"ve always been a big dreamer, dreaming almost every night, remembering and writing down my dreams, many of them lucid. Since my concussion 4 months ago, I have only recalled one night of dreaming. I really miss my dream life and wonder how the lack of it is related to concussion/brain activity
or if anyone is experiencing this??

Did you injure your right temporal lobe ? (ringing in the ears in the beginning perhaps?)

I found that I had a "black hole" for many days after the initial concussion and had some sort of aphantasia.