NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   has anyone stopped having this PN burning in their feet (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/113832-stopped-pn-burning-feet.html)

lucyloo 02-04-2010 05:02 AM

has anyone stopped having this PN burning in their feet

I would like to hear someone tell me they're better from this burning..I'm losing hope....

mrsD 02-04-2010 07:57 AM

You can control burning, if you know the cause.

There are simple rubs that help temporarily, like Biofreeze.

Sometimes chronic burning can come from foods that you are intolerant of. Examples are gluten , and in my case potatoes, and some tomato products (these are nightshades, and people can become intolerant of them).

If your feet become very cold for a while, they WILL burn when they warm up. This type of burning typically winds down, after a little while and does not last all day, all night.

But there are very many causes of PN pain. Some are deficiency of nutrients, like B12 and Vit D. You need tests to find out what your B12 level really is. I have a thread at the top of the page in the stickies, about B12.

New members here really need to read the posts that others make. That is the best way to learn.

nide44 02-04-2010 10:17 AM

I use 'Icy Hot' (or the generic 'Cool Heat' from 'Rite Aid'), 2x day
along with my Lyrica, 3x day.

EE03 02-04-2010 11:19 PM

lucyloo,

even though i have a bunch of foot issues, they are not the cause of the burning feet and the random spikes of pain. has your neurologist recommended a biopsy for small fiber neuropathy?

Brian 02-05-2010 02:00 PM

Yep, my feet and legs do not burn anymore, as Mrs D said knowing the cause is essential, mine was caused by prediabetes [ goodness knows how long I was prediabetic for] plus low in B12, both issues were corrected.
Beer, icecream, stress use to make mine worse, I don't drink beer these days but have no trouble with a few glasses of red wine.
Endep and trammadol eased a fair bit of the burning when it was bad.

best of luck to you.

mrsD 02-05-2010 02:26 PM

Once the burning starts, there is no quick easy fix.

Everyone is different in this respect except, for the no easy fix part.

Raglet 02-05-2010 06:12 PM

Actually, mine did stop burning, permanently. I used to have the sort of neuropathy that burned a heck of a lot (it was agony) in my hands and one foot. My hands pretty much returned to normal (very minor pain once in a blue moon), and my feet went numb. I have no idea why. My neuropathy is part of my lupus, maybe that has something to do with it.

I now have sensori-motor axonal neuropathy with numbness and motor damage. It is not yet affecting my hands, though my tests show that the values in my hands are heading towards the neuropathy happening there (it will be numbness, which I much prefer). I do not expect this type of neuropathy to go away, as I have had it for too long. The burning pain I only had for 6 months, I have had this for about 10 years or more. I have other problems with my hands - a lot of spasticity, which is not related to neuropathy as it is central in origin (from my brain).

But, I think I am pretty unusual, as I have not heard of anyone else who has had such severe pain that then disappeared. Maybe it was caused by a lupus flare, who knows.

best of luck with your neuropathy, and I hope you find a way to manage your burning

cheers

Raglet

Brian 02-06-2010 01:58 PM

There is certainly no quick fix, mine took 5 years to go away completely.

Westie 02-06-2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 618266)
Yep, my feet and legs do not burn anymore, as Mrs D said knowing the cause is essential, mine was caused by prediabetes [ goodness knows how long I was prediabetic for] plus low in B12, both issues were corrected.
Beer, icecream, stress use to make mine worse, I don't drink beer these days but have no trouble with a few glasses of red wine.
Endep and trammadol eased a fair bit of the burning when it was bad.

best of luck to you.

Can one have normal fasting glucose and plasma glucose readings but still have prediabetes ?

I had my PN diagnosed as "probably" alcohol related, but after no alcohol for 5 months and progression during that time from slight burning in foot pads to burning soles and heels and then to burning hands as well. I'm not now so convinced alcohol is the culprit and looking for other explanations (re-referral to Neurologist pending).

No problems with B12 by the way - I'm about 1800+.

Undermined 02-06-2010 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westie (Post 618702)
Can one have normal fasting glucose and plasma glucose readings but still have prediabetes ?

I had my PN diagnosed as "probably" alcohol related, but after no alcohol for 5 months and progression during that time from slight burning in foot pads to burning soles and heels and then to burning hands as well. I'm not now so convinced alcohol is the culprit and looking for other explanations (re-referral to Neurologist pending).

No problems with B12 by the way - I'm about 1800+.

Westie I am in the same position as you, its just getting worse & as its not seen, people don't really understand how miserable and depressed it can make you.