NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Are you a Victim of or a Victor over PCS? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/226173-victim-victor-pcs.html)

Mark in Idaho 09-18-2015 12:19 AM

Are you a Victim of or a Victor over PCS?

Are you a victim of or a victor over PCS ?

Hopefully, people can be inspired to see how others have been victors over the PCS symptoms that are impacting us. This not a thread about recovering from symptoms but rather how people have been able to move forward despite ongoing symptoms. Maybe how people have learned work-arounds, or to moderate their daily activities, etc.

TheNorwegian 09-18-2015 03:40 AM

Bicycle

I had a lot of problems cycling, because I could not tolerate the bumps on the road.

I found out that it is possible to buy a shock absorbing bicycle rod and a seat with extra absorption, which made it much more tolerable to cycle.

Maybe some of you can use this.

pugmug 09-19-2015 05:25 AM

It's absolutely to move forward in life despite ongoing symptoms. Even though it's been extraordinarily difficult for me at times, in the past year I've managed to get over a major breakup, build a support system of people who care about me and understand what I'm going through, and apply for (and win) a prestigious scholarship to go abroad. Of course there are setbacks but each time they come around I feel more prepared to accept them and cope with them. Each time things take a turn for the worse is an opportunity to learn about yourself and modify your life in a positive way.

Some modifications that have helped me are:
-turning down electronic screen brightness on all devices
-taking frequent breaks when reading
-meditation, yoga and cognitive behavioral therapy for anxiety (radical acceptance has been particularly helpful)
-switching to low-impact exercise
-eliminating alcohol
-spending less time in loud and/or stressful spaces
-getting a planner and writing things down immediately (otherwise I will definitely forget them)
-most importantly, being patient and forgiving of myself and my symptoms

Blairzo 09-19-2015 05:39 AM

I'm a survivor
I could not follow conversation or questions, could not tolerate noise and visual stimulus, my memory was very badly affected and I struggled following processes like making a cup of tea.
Fast forward ten + years
I'm working part time.
I still get fatigue and do not no my limits.
I can do phone calls and watch TV and go out for a meal bug I know I need to factor in a rest period.
My memory is still affected but I manage it more effectively and use reminders, calendars and planners.
Forward planning still needs work, but I recognise this now.
I don't identify myself by rushing in saying I used to be...... I have accepted my TBI and I work with what I have on each day.
I learn to say no.
I can accept help now instead of insisting I do everything to prove I can still do it.
I can bang my head on balls, furniture, toys etc by accident and not panic!
I think after the initial anger and frustration which lasted years, I am now more relaxed but if something annoys me or someone says something I can't hold back and what ever is on my mind falls out of my mouth!
I can come on this site and offer support ;);)

Bud 09-19-2015 11:50 AM

I pray a lot more than before which really helps me recognize anxious thoughts and think of other people who have it worse than me.

I am learning to sit still. How to ask for help when needed.

I keep working at finding ways to stay active for exercise.

If an activity proves to be to much I wait awhile but try again.

These have been a huge part of me starting life over.

Bud

Estreetfan 09-20-2015 09:43 AM

I am determined to live the best life I can within my current limitations (mostlly fatigue, vision and balance issues and sensory overload) I have more ear protectors and earplugs than I do earrings and I read with my ears now via podcasts and audiobooks.

I conquered my anxiety by refusing to just lie there and let it get the best of me. When I was anxious I dusted, decluttered (alot of my old clothes furniture and books are currently residing in other peoples homes) Also spent as much time outside as I could manage - frequent very short walks til I was strong enough to get back to yoga and the pool and from there I have been working towards increasing my physical fitness ever since.

I find mindfulness meditation very restorative and also just being with my pets, found a good therapist too and she has taught me to see how changes in my dog's behavior are an early warning sign of anxiety sneaking up on me.

I feel as if in the last 3 years I have adapted my home enviornment and my lifestyle pretty well and moving forward I am going to work on my social life.
Started by tackling air travel so I can get home to see my family more and after that who knows what the future will bring.

Mark in Idaho 09-29-2015 12:38 PM

Just a note to top post this thread. There are some good comments about getting on with life here.