NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   RSD / CRPS / SMP-San Diego, CA-NEED DOCTOR (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/173593-rsd-crps-smp-san-diego-ca-doctor.html)

CRPStweet 07-21-2012 03:37 PM

RSD / CRPS / SMP-San Diego, CA-NEED DOCTOR

I am desperately looking for a good RSD doctor to be able to properly treat me to try to bring about remission or reversal. I am a recently injured (Spring 2012). I am having difficulty finding a good RSD doctor in San Diego or Orange County, CA.

sallysue

LIT LOVE 07-21-2012 07:32 PM

Dr. Nancy Sajben in La Jolla is supposed to be VERY good.

http://painsandiego.com/

betsykk 07-21-2012 09:56 PM

My daughter is a patient of Dr Sajbens and she is very good.

CRPStweet 07-22-2012 01:05 PM

RSD/CRPS/SMP-San Diego. CA-NEED DOCTOR

Thank you very much. I have a first appt scheduled with Nancy Sajben in the coming weeks. I also would like to know if anyone has RSD experience with Mark Wallace (UCSD) or Hussein Abdulhadi (Alvarado); both take my insurance.

CRPStweet 07-22-2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betsykk (Post 899546)
My daughter is a patient of Dr Sajbens and she is very good.

Thx. What meds has Sajben tried her on & how have they worked? What caused her RSD?

hannah01 08-03-2012 02:18 PM

RE: Dr Sabjen- san diego

Quote:

Originally Posted by sallysue (Post 899473)
I am desperately looking for a good RSD doctor to be able to properly treat me to try to bring about remission or reversal. I am a recently injured (Spring 2012). I am having difficulty finding a good RSD doctor in San Diego or Orange County, CA.

sallysue

dd

In reply to Dr. Sabjen- I know of her and have spoken with her. She has been using a combination of ketamine nasal spray, low dose or ultra low dose naltrexone (which has been clinically shown to put MS into remission, a higher dosage of Namenda than normally rx'd in the USA, and medications like lamictal to work on the sodium ion channels. Many of the newest results regarding- low dose/ultra low dose naltrexone were reported in the 2010 rsdsa glia conference. research shows that the glia cells (nerve cells we have in our body) do not function as in similar diseases such as ALS, and MS. I have heard controversial issues as well from other Experts in RSD regarding ketamine nasal that it can be damaging, affects the bladder, and also reportedly any form of ketamine (not IV) can cause allergies. My experience is every RSD patient must find their own combonation that works for them. I will always stress research as much as possible, and try to understand this disease and symptoms through an expert doctor who thouroughly understands rsd. Every patient is different- symptoms might be similar, but a good patient can dictate to their physican, what is happening and the doctor can hopefully assist in remeding the problem as best as possible. Different thinks and treatments work on individuals to varying degrees.

betsykk 08-08-2012 03:07 PM

If you look on Dr Sajbens site you will find the meds she uses under her Long Distance Patients tab (her website is a little scattered). She uses most of the meds with everyone but will adjust accordingly.
I would say it has helped my daughter somewhat but we are using it in conjuction with ketamine infusions which seem to be the most helpful.

Dr Sajbens website is painsandiego.com

CRPStweet 08-08-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hannah01 (Post 902938)

dd

In reply to Dr. Sabjen- I know of her and have spoken with her. She has been using a combination of ketamine nasal spray, low dose or ultra low dose naltrexone (which has been clinically shown to put MS into remission, a higher dosage of Namenda than normally rx'd in the USA, and medications like lamictal to work on the sodium ion channels. Many of the newest results regarding- low dose/ultra low dose naltrexone were reported in the 2010 rsdsa glia conference. research shows that the glia cells (nerve cells we have in our body) do not function as in similar diseases such as ALS, and MS. I have heard controversial issues as well from other Experts in RSD regarding ketamine nasal that it can be damaging, affects the bladder, and also reportedly any form of ketamine (not IV) can cause allergies. My experience is every RSD patient must find their own combonation that works for them. I will always stress research as much as possible, and try to understand this disease and symptoms through an expert doctor who thouroughly understands rsd. Every patient is different- symptoms might be similar, but a good patient can dictate to their physican, what is happening and the doctor can hopefully assist in remeding the problem as best as possible. Different thinks and treatments work on individuals to varying degrees.

Thank you very much hannah01! Your info is appreciated.

CRPStweet 08-08-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betsykk (Post 904291)
If you look on Dr Sajbens site you will find the meds she uses under her Long Distance Patients tab (her website is a little scattered). She uses most of the meds with everyone but will adjust accordingly.
I would say it has helped my daughter somewhat but we are using it in conjuction with ketamine infusions which seem to be the most helpful.

Dr Sajbens website is painsandiego.com

Thank you for your helpful reply Betsykk! I see the full list of meds there. She started me on nasal ketamine (cumbersome to use this formulation), naltrexone, and dextromethorphan one by one. She took me off the naltrexone after being on 3NAL/day (13.5mg total/day) and having one bad pain evening, although I do not know if the bad pain was related to the NAL or to going back to work that day and stress. Have you ever heard that naltrexone can worsen neuropathic pain?
Now I am only on DEX. Who do you recommend for the ketamine infusion in So. Calif. if that becomes necessary?

betsykk 08-12-2012 08:33 PM

My daughter is one of her long distance patients. She is on all of the above meds but we are backing off the k since she is having some bladder issues which she does not with infusions. I would suggest joining K Klub on FB to get a complete list of doctors doing inpatient/outpatient infusions.
I would ask her about going back on LDN. She is pretty good about changing her mind if you present a well thought out argument. I really like her...very smart, very caring.