NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   Myasterix Study.... (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/238812-myasterix-study.html)

patrick123 08-09-2016 11:13 AM

Myasterix Study....

Anyone familiar with this potential therapy? Looks like the target date for completion will not be met: Estimated completion date 9/2016, yet, still recruiting participants. Safety, Tolerability and Immunogenic Response of CV-MG1 in Patients With Myasthenia Gravis - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov ...More info here. Myasterix

AnnieB3 08-09-2016 04:59 PM

Patrick, This is the extension of the work by Edwin Blalock. It's been around a long time and has yet to prove success. It is specific to those who have AChR antibodies.

It would be nice to think that a vaccine might help MG, but I'm not holding my breath! If there are adjuvants in it such as squalene, I really wouldn't be optimistic about it. Squalene supercharges the immune system, which is not good for anyone with autoimmune diseases.

Just my opinion.

Annie

patrick123 08-09-2016 06:23 PM

Yes, I'm aware of the Blalock connection, and that this approach has been under observation for quite some time. However, this is the first human trial and, as such, caught my attention(months ago). I was hoping that someone might have some info about this study that I have missed in my searches... ...r.e. Squalene: State of arousal of immune system may not matter much if this strategy works in the manner intended. Indeed, if this molecule didn't get the job done other than when the immune system is in a state of quiescence, it wouldn't be much good anyway. Not holding my breath either!...Thanks for responding, ....patrick

AnnieB3 08-16-2016 12:03 AM

Quote:

State of arousal of immune system may not matter much if this strategy works in the manner intended.
That's not entirely true, Patrick. Sure, if it helps with MG, great. But people with MG can still be open to other AIs, which squalene can "wake up," so to speak. This therapy only targets MG.

Others are working on different treatments, but the cost often outweighs the benefits for those in larger institutions for this relatively rare disease.

And the health "machine" goes so damn slowly. On purpose, I believe.

Annie

patrick123 08-16-2016 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieB3 (Post 1220643)
That's not entirely true, Patrick. Sure, if it helps with MG, great. But people with MG can still be open to other AIs, which squalene can "wake up," so to speak. This therapy only targets MG.

Others are working on different treatments, but the cost often outweighs the benefits for those in larger institutions for this relatively rare disease.

And the health "machine" goes so damn slowly. On purpose, I believe.

Annie

Yes, that is a good point... I was speaking only of the vaccine's effect on MG. ...p