NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Arnold Chiari Malformation & Syringomyelia (https://www.neurotalk.org/arnold-chiari-malformation-and-syringomyelia/)
-   -   Doctors in Oregon (https://www.neurotalk.org/arnold-chiari-malformation-and-syringomyelia/160403-doctors-oregon.html)

WonderingLauren 11-06-2011 10:43 PM

Doctors in Oregon

Hi All,

My name is Lauren, I just turned 23, and I was just diagnosed with a 12mm Chiari Type 1 Malformation. I am waiting to be contacted by a neurologist at Oregon Health Sciences University, but am wondering if there is anyone out there that knows of a good surgeon in Oregon?

It has been just short of a week since I was diagnosed, and I have done some research on the condition, but am still very new to what is going on with me. Any information or insight that anyone would care to share would be much appreciated!

Lauren

razzle51 11-10-2011 02:12 PM

drs

sorry about the only good NS that knows chiari is in seattle Dr. Ellboggan. that is where people in Oregon go .

Tabithastuckey 11-23-2011 03:01 AM

Just had surgery at OHSU

I just had Dr. Delashaw from OHSU perform surgery on me for Chiari Malformation Type 1. He is an awesome Dr. He really listened to me. I had seen doctors that didn't really seem to care as much, but he was very easy to talk to. He also did a great job with the surgery. He only shaved a small area of hair and the incision was very clean. I recovered very quickly. I was in ICU (as a precaution they do that) for 12 hours, then a regular hospital room for another day. I was up and about another day later. Granted, getting comfortable to sleep for a week or so, was impossible and I felt ok the first week because of all the pain meds, but overall I recovered much faster than I thought.

Headaches are gone! My voice no longer sounds like "a pack a day smoker", but still have pain and weakness in my legs and Restless Leg Syndrome.

Definitely try to see Dr. Delashaw at OHSU. He is most experienced with Chiari.

pratt4 11-26-2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tabithastuckey (Post 826885)
I just had Dr. Delashaw from OHSU perform surgery on me for Chiari Malformation Type 1. He is an awesome Dr. He really listened to me. I had seen doctors that didn't really seem to care as much, but he was very easy to talk to. He also did a great job with the surgery. He only shaved a small area of hair and the incision was very clean. I recovered very quickly. I was in ICU (as a precaution they do that) for 12 hours, then a regular hospital room for another day. I was up and about another day later. Granted, getting comfortable to sleep for a week or so, was impossible and I felt ok the first week because of all the pain meds, but overall I recovered much faster than I thought.

Headaches are gone! My voice no longer sounds like "a pack a day smoker", but still have pain and weakness in my legs and Restless Leg Syndrome.

Definitely try to see Dr. Delashaw at OHSU. He is most experienced with Chiari.

I am glad to hear that you had a great result from surgery, I was just diagnosed and it is nice to hear that there is hope and a chance to get relief. I wanted to ask has anyone had emotional issues with this condition? I find that I am easily irritated and get angry at the smallest thing, I also feel like crying too. I'm not sure if it is from the stress of getting this diagnosis or a symptom of the condition. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. Thanks