NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Medications & Treatments (https://www.neurotalk.org/medications-and-treatments/)
-   -   Nerve blocks (https://www.neurotalk.org/medications-and-treatments/25590-nerve-blocks.html)

Jaime_S 08-09-2007 08:11 PM

Nerve blocks

Has anyone had any experince with nerve blocks. Have they been helpful, or not? How long have they lasted?
My Neurologist is going to try a nerve block in the occipital nerves, (I have Occipital Neuralgia) next week. I have never had them before, and I'm very nervous! I really hope it helps. But I hope it doesn't hurt too much, because I'm a wimp when it comes to needles! lol
:o
~Jaime~

jane d mccartney 08-10-2007 04:24 PM

nerve blocks

:) Hi Jaime
I have had 9 blocks to date, usualy every 8 wks.
I find they have helped with the pain, but of course not taken it all away
but has been worth having them, i`m due for my 10th sept 3rd.
I won`t say it is pain free on having it done but over quickly, your head
will feel like a block of wood for a few hrs.
It is not usual to have a reaction but i do for 10 days or so & am bed bound for around 3-4 days but sleep & sleep. pain consultent thinks it`s the steroids that do it. i must say i`m in the minority having this reaction but
telling you so if it happens you understand why.
I like you have occipital neuralgia [ mine due to pressure from tumour ]
I am 74 yrs so these things do tend to cause more upset than if i was younger plus i have many other symptoms.
I wouldn`t keep having them if they hadn`t been of benifit would i ?
Good Luck & let me know how you get on Jaime.
Sophia :)

Jaime_S 08-11-2007 12:26 AM

Hi Sophia,

Thanks for sharing your experience with nerve blocks. You have had quite a few!
I hope I don't have any bad reactions to them, that is the main thing that worries me. But if they help get rid of the pain for 2 months or so, I'll be happy!

~Jaime~

Quote:

Originally Posted by jane d mccartney (Post 134958)
:) Hi Jaime
I have had 9 blocks to date, usualy every 8 wks.
I find they have helped with the pain, but of course not taken it all away
but has been worth having them, i`m due for my 10th sept 3rd.
I won`t say it is pain free on having it done but over quickly, your head
will feel like a block of wood for a few hrs.
It is not usual to have a reaction but i do for 10 days or so & am bed bound for around 3-4 days but sleep & sleep. pain consultent thinks it`s the steroids that do it. i must say i`m in the minority having this reaction but
telling you so if it happens you understand why.
I like you have occipital neuralgia [ mine due to pressure from tumour ]
I am 74 yrs so these things do tend to cause more upset than if i was younger plus i have many other symptoms.
I wouldn`t keep having them if they hadn`t been of benifit would i ?
Good Luck & let me know how you get on Jaime.
Sophia :)

Jaime_S 08-15-2007 04:10 AM

Well, I saw my neurologist today. But I'm rather annoyed because he changed his mind about giving me a nerve block! He wants me to try another medication for a month, first! It seems that he sees a nerve block as a last resort, after meds! So, I got all worked up for nothing, and told everyone I was getting the nerve block...now it feels like I lied! So frustrating when Doctors decide what they think is best, and not let us make the choice!
:(
~Jaime~

jane d mccartney 08-16-2007 03:25 PM

neve blocks

:hug: Hi Jamie.
So sorry you got all worried for nothing this time, but if another med will help it`s worth trying, seems like we have to take notice of these [Gods]
Let us know what your new med is ?
Love Sophia :hug:

InHisHands 08-17-2007 03:52 PM

I had a block that lasted 2 hours. Worked great, just wore off way too soon. I do not believe that this is the normal response though!

I hope you find relief! What is the new medication?

BTW, that is such a cute picture of yourself! :)

Jaime_S 08-17-2007 11:38 PM

My Neurologist put me on a low dose of Amitriptyline, this time. I have taken it in the past in a much higher dose, and couldn't handle the side-effects. He thinks a lower does would work better for nerve pain, I'm not so sure, but I guess time will tell!
Anyway, I'll check out the other threads on that med...

Quote:

Originally Posted by InHisHands (Post 138006)

BTW, that is such a cute picture of yourself! :)

If you mean my picture?....that isn't really me!:o It's the "real" Jaime Sommers, the Bionic Woman! lol

jane d mccartney 08-18-2007 01:57 PM

occipital neuragia

:) hI Jaime,
My pain consultent has me on 25mg of amytriptaline which i take at night
it does help with sleeping for me. he also has me on 1800mgs of gabapentin, 25 mgs of methadone all these for pain.
I am due my next nerve block on the 3rd sept. they do last me abought 5 wks am really ready for my next.
I see my neurologist next weds. I saw my neuro surgeon 4 wks ago & had
my usual c.t. scan but was rather worried has he wanted another scan 2 wks later, however the tumours hadn`t grown but he wants another scan in
6 months time so still worry.
Oh dear! life isn`t easy is it?
We can just pray &try to keep smiling.
:) Sophia

jane d mccartney 09-08-2007 06:14 PM

:) Hi Jaime,
Just wondered how you were getting on with the amitryptaline,
I had my 10th nerve block last wk & my reaction wasn`t has bad this time.
At the moment is helping the pain [ but never helps the eye pain ]
I`m just hoping it helps me over my hols starting 26th sept to 17th oct.
Take Care
Sophia uk :)

Jaime_S 09-08-2007 10:11 PM

Hi Sophia,

I'm still taking the Amitriptyline, but it doesn't seem to be helping all that much. It felt like it was working for the first 2 weeks, but now I'm not so sure. I get more fluctuations in pain level than I did before (some days very little pain, and the next, the pain is high!), and I get more scalp pain and sensitivity. It seems to be stirring up the nerve endings, rather than dulling the pain. I go back again to my Neurologist on Wednesday, so I will discuss this with him. Not sure if he will do a nerve block this time, I don't want to get my hopes up too much this time! lol

~Jaime~

Quote:

Originally Posted by jane d mccartney (Post 146015)
:) Hi Jaime,
Just wondered how you were getting on with the amitryptaline,
I had my 10th nerve block last wk & my reaction wasn`t has bad this time.
At the moment is helping the pain [ but never helps the eye pain ]
I`m just hoping it helps me over my hols starting 26th sept to 17th oct.
Take Care
Sophia uk :)