NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Starting Topamax for headaches (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/164267-starting-topamax-headaches.html)

Eowyn 02-01-2012 08:03 AM

Starting Topamax for headaches

Since my 30 mg of amitriptyline seems to have maxed out its effectiveness at headache prevention, my neurologist is gradually moving me over to Topamax instead. I'm tapering off the elavil while I taper up the Topamax.

Anybody tried this med? Better, worse, about the same compared to amitriptyline?

He seemed optimistic about it since the Imitrex seems to help arrest the headaches when they are coming on.

worried_mom 02-01-2012 09:26 AM

My daughter (when she was 10, NO mTBI) took topamax for a year or so for migraines and had wonderful results.

Hope it works for you too!

postconcussion 02-01-2012 11:17 AM

topamax was too strong

My neuro tried topamax with me as well.

I had a horrible experience. I ended up going into the doctor's office, he took one look at me, put me in a wheelchair, and sentd me to the ER.

It is a very powerful drug.
I remember feeling lethargic, confused, extremely dizzy, etc. (couldn't really get out of bed)

Also it is easy to draw a blank when speaking (this is a common side effect) and the weight loss is scary. If you are thin it can be too much.

And you may have tingling in your extremities. My neuro said to drink gatorade throughout the day.

For me, it was one of those drugs that made everything worse, but you never know. Just wanted to share my experience, I hope that you have a better one:)

pcslife 02-01-2012 11:31 AM

I tried and did nothing for me. Luckily I didn't have any terrible side effects. Start with lowest dosage possible.

For me even Imitrex didn't do much. So you have better chances may be. Ibuprofen is the only thing works some what.

My Neurologist wasn't too optimistic and was honest about it. One thing he asked is about Lexapro. I tried and not able to continue for more than few days bcuz it gave me terrible stomach pain and nausea.

I even talked to some neurologist in John Hopkins who is doing a clinical trial with Lexapro on people with TBI.

EsthersDoll 02-01-2012 01:22 PM

My neurologist prescribed me Topomax for a while - the stuff made me delusional and crazy. I felt much better after I stopped taking it. My family was *very* worried about my behavior while I was taking it and they were relieved once I started acting more myself after I stopped taking it. We didn't think a drug like that could cause side effects like that. But I'm very sensitive to medication.

I think it's definitely worth a try. I think most things are worth trying.

Keep in mind (and remind your Dr.) that people recovering from mTBI don't always need the typical dosage for it to work because we tend to be very sensitive to drugs.

SpaceCadet 02-02-2012 05:54 PM

Never heard of this drug.

Hope everything works out for you.

Dmom3005 02-02-2012 10:04 PM

I have been on topamax, for a few years. It works very well for me.

I hope you have good luck with it.

Donna:grouphug::hug:

Eowyn 02-04-2012 12:20 PM

So far, I'm a few days into the transition. 20 mg of amitriptyline and 25 mg of topamax. I feel very sleepy and dizzy, similar to the way I felt when starting amitriptyline. Can't wake up. Go blank and dizzy every time I stand up.

On the bright side, no headaches. On the downside, I can't do anything that might possibly cause a headache.

With the amitriptyline, this lasted a few days and then got better. Should I expect it to improve over time with topamax as well? Or am I stuck this way?

repinuj13 02-04-2012 10:24 PM

I was on topamax for migraines a few times. You do get some weeeeird side effects. Depending on how you feel, weight loss might not be so bad, but others aren't pleasant. I stopped taking it the first time because my hair started falling out, lots of it. So, be aware that might happen, though not saying it will...that's one of the rarer side effects from my knowledge. You might find yourself not as hungry (weight loss), your hands and feet might get numb and tingly (keep hydrataed), and maybe the weirest one.....carbonated beverages will taste TOTALLY different! It's hard to explain how...metallic maybe. You'll notice it, I think that one is fairly common.

For me the drug was very helpful, and I can handle it on a low dose. Everyone is different so just keep your eye on the side effects.

samanthahorn94x 02-05-2012 09:28 AM

I would just be hesitant if you are going to take this medication. I have been on both amitryptiline and topamax. At first the Topamax seemed to do wonders for me, and my headaches decreased substantially. However, it only worked for a short amount of time, and as they increased the dose I began experiencing the side effects. On the medication I had serious memory loss, and could not bring up words when I wanted to. You should keep a diary, if you start experiencing anything weird write down the first time it occurred (time, symptom, severity, and frequency). If it is bad immediately call your doctor.

I hope everything works out, and your headaches go away. Feel Better :)