NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   General Health Conditions & Rare Disorders (https://www.neurotalk.org/general-health-conditions-and-rare-disorders/)
-   -   Worsening numbness in face and going down left side (https://www.neurotalk.org/general-health-conditions-and-rare-disorders/44246-worsening-numbness-left.html)

miriamgg 04-24-2008 11:26 AM

Worsening numbness in face and going down left side

Hi
I'm new to the forum.
I have just had a CT scan and MRI to look into why I am having persistent numbing on the left side of my mouth and face and that is now traveling down my arm and left leg. It seems to happen most when I'm standing up or walking around, although the residual feelings are there now all the time.
My brain looks fine. No evidence of stroke or tumor.
I'll be undergoing an EEG, and blood tests, but even the Neurolgist is perplexed. It started 5 days ago and getting worse.
Any ideas???
Thanks!

Drewfus21 06-28-2008 12:12 AM

Numbness in the Face and side...

Hmmm... sounds MAYBE like it could be bells palsy??? - I came down with that, about a month and a half, before I got diagnosed with multiple sclerosis; didn't know it, but bells palsy was actually only a "symptom" - not an actual cause of something, and that the bells palsy that I had in MY case, was a symptom of my neurological systems coming under attack, from the MS. Hmmm... very perplexing.

I know that my own internal medicine dr didn't notice the possibility for multiple sclerosis, when he diagnosed me with bells palsy, two may's ago. Is there any problem with your speech? Anything like that? Am just curious, as to what is causing the numbness on the side of your body, and your face...

-drewfuss21

Quote:

Originally Posted by miriamgg (Post 265670)
Hi
I'm new to the forum.
I have just had a CT scan and MRI to look into why I am having persistent numbing on the left side of my mouth and face and that is now traveling down my arm and left leg. It seems to happen most when I'm standing up or walking around, although the residual feelings are there now all the time.
My brain looks fine. No evidence of stroke or tumor.
I'll be undergoing an EEG, and blood tests, but even the Neurolgist is perplexed. It started 5 days ago and getting worse.
Any ideas???
Thanks!

mrsD 06-28-2008 09:55 AM

consider this:

http://www.youqa.com/diseases-condit...7-2-youqa.html

Any rapidly progressive peripheral neurological condition,
should be evaluated aggressively.

This is treated mostly with plasmapharesis.

A friend of mine had this following a minor viral infection.
You can also get it following a vaccine.
Or it can come all by itself. The sooner it is treated, the better the prognosis. She progressed quickly and almost had to go on a ventilator.

It is autoimmune so autoimmune blood tests may be helpful.

AfterMyNap 06-28-2008 11:06 AM

Hi, Miriamgg! :Wave-Hello: Welcome to NeuroTalk!

Koala77 06-28-2008 09:55 PM

Hello Miriamgg and Drewfus21. I see that you're both new members to NeuroTalk, and I wanted to say Hi and welcome both of you to the site!

As Mrsd commented, any neurological symptoms need investigating sooner rather than later, no matter how straight forward they appear to be.

There are many conditions that could cause facial paralysis, but as a lot of them aren't nice, it would make sense to have them removed from the equation.

Welcome again, and I do hope you get it checked out quickly.

cat265 06-29-2008 05:42 PM

I had a similar exprerienc a long time ago. I noticed it in the shower when I was washing my hair that me scalp felt tingly. Then my cheek and mouth started to hurt. Then my face started to droop and my arm and hand got tingly. The doctor sent me to the dentist in case I had some kind of dental problem. The next day my doctor called me and told me he thought I had a stone in my salvia duct:eek::confused: So he put me on a 3 day strong antibiotic. What ever it was that cured it. He said if it was a stone I might not even feel it come out, and I never did. What ever, I never had that problem again.