NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Are there other types of neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/224980-types-neuropathy.html)

_dreamer_ 08-23-2015 01:01 PM

Are there other types of neuropathy

Besides SFN that would give a negative punch biopsy and cause burning and tingling soles of feet? I mean...besides it coming from my back like sciatica. Thanks so much. This forum has been really great.

Ragtop262 08-23-2015 07:06 PM

I haven't followed your posts that closely - have you had MRI's of brain and spine? I know you mentioned sciatica - but there's probably quite a few other spinal issues that could cause burning feet.

_dreamer_ 08-23-2015 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragtop262 (Post 1165343)
I haven't followed your posts that closely - have you had MRI's of brain and spine? I know you mentioned sciatica - but there's probably quite a few other spinal issues that could cause burning feet.

Thanks. Had a ct scan without contrast but it didn't show anything that I would think could case this much tingling and burning. We'll see. Won't talk to my neuro Til the end of September which is frustrating since he was so sure I have SFN. So sure that he said he sees it happen even with negative biopsies. Only think it showed was occasional swelling.

Thanks.

Neuroproblem 08-23-2015 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _dreamer_ (Post 1165346)
Thanks. Had a ct scan without contrast but it didn't show anything that I would think could case this much tingling and burning. We'll see. Won't talk to my neuro Til the end of September which is frustrating since he was so sure I have SFN. So sure that he said he sees it happen even with negative biopsies. Only think it showed was occasional swelling.

Thanks.

You can try to think about other causes of sfn, like diabetes or b12 deficiency. There are plenty of causes for sfn, most are not detectable on a ct scan or mri scan.

_dreamer_ 08-24-2015 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neuroproblem (Post 1165380)
You can try to think about other causes of sfn, like diabetes or b12 deficiency. There are plenty of causes for sfn, most are not detectable on a ct scan or mri scan.

thanks. yes I had a punch biopsy which was negative. b12 was low 300's and A1C was 5.5 so I'm just frustrated b/c my doctor can't call me back for another month. I guess I was wondering...besides SFN and disc problems...is there any other neurological disorder that could cause this. Thank you.

Neuroproblem 08-25-2015 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _dreamer_ (Post 1165444)
thanks. yes I had a punch biopsy which was negative. b12 was low 300's and A1C was 5.5 so I'm just frustrated b/c my doctor can't call me back for another month. I guess I was wondering...besides SFN and disc problems...is there any other neurological disorder that could cause this. Thank you.

SFN specifically can be idiopathic, DIabetes or autoimmune. other causes of PN is very numerous. the b12, what was the ranges for normal. It could be you are suffering b12 DEFIciency, which should show some anemia as well, and also finding the cause of the b12 is also useful. There doesnt need to be neurological disorders to be able to cause PN.

Ragtop262 08-25-2015 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _dreamer_ (Post 1165444)
b12 was low 300's .

Assuming US measurement - this is pretty low. I think 400 is kind of the consensus minimum here - and many shoot for 1000+. There are studies referenced in the B-12 thread indicating neurological problems are possible at those levels.

_dreamer_ 08-28-2015 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragtop262 (Post 1165870)
Assuming US measurement - this is pretty low. I think 400 is kind of the consensus minimum here - and many shoot for 1000+. There are studies referenced in the B-12 thread indicating neurological problems are possible at those levels.

Thanks. I look forward to asking my doctor about my levels. Appreciate your help.

Neuroproblem 08-30-2015 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _dreamer_ (Post 1166602)
Thanks. I look forward to asking my doctor about my levels. Appreciate your help.

That is pretty low, depending on which country you live in, they might have different standards. but it could b12 deficiency, you could ask your doctor if its a cause, and you can try b12 supplementation if that helps.