NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   Genetic Link Discovered Between Immune System, Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/131135-genetic-link-discovered-immune-system-parkinsons-disease.html)

reverett123 08-26-2010 06:08 AM

Genetic Link Discovered Between Immune System, Parkinson's Disease

From http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0815162130.htm

In the study, researchers detected a new association with the HLA (human leukocyte antigen) region, which contains a large number of genes related to immune system function in humans. With the new findings, and link to HLA, researchers will now be encouraged to take a fresh look at the possible role of infections, inflammation and autoimmunity in Parkinson's disease.

HLA genes are essential for recognizing foreign invaders from the body's own tissues. Similarly, HLA molecules are supposed to recognize a body's own tissue as itself and prevent immune reactions against them. But the system doesn't always work perfectly. HLA genes are highly variable from individual to individual. Certain variants of the genes are associated with increased risk or protection against infectious disease, while other variants can induce autoimmune disorders in which the immune system attacks the body's own tissues. Multiple sclerosis, a neurological disease caused by autoimmunity, is also associated with HLA-DR. The genetic variant that is associated with Parkinson's disease is in the same region as the one associated with multiple sclerosis.

lurkingforacure 08-26-2010 12:42 PM

One just needs to come on over here!

If only researchers would read what Rick and some others have been posting about for years, I can't help but think it would push things forward by light years! Good find, Rick, thanks for sharing.

just_me_77 08-26-2010 02:00 PM

Good timing!!!

Rick,

I am going for my 3 month visit with Neurologist Friday morning. I printed out the article to see if he has any comments. Will report back.

Mike

Conductor71 08-26-2010 08:48 PM

Wish we could take turns on PDOnline Research

Quote:

Originally Posted by lurkingforacure (Post 688787)
If only researchers would read what Rick and some others have been posting about for years, I can't help but think it would push things forward by light years! Good find, Rick, thanks for sharing.

Too bad that patients are not more welcome to post on the PDOnline Research wiki. I understand why they discourage it, but the wiki would be a great way for information exchange between researchers and those who live with the disease. Some of our experiences and anecdotes may even serve as a catalyst for new ways of looking at old, outworn ideas.

There are some creative ways to establish quality control. For instance, their could be patient liaisons or reps and Rick, Ron Hutton, and Girija would be perfect for that (others too).

Thanks, Rick!

Laura

reverett123 08-27-2010 08:39 AM

Heck, if they even cared enough to assign a grad student to liason with us it would be something. The unspoken message is we don't count. Or, to paraphrase George Carlin, "It's a great big club and YOU'RE not a member!"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conductor71 (Post 688894)
Too bad that patients are not more welcome to post on the PDOnline Research wiki. I understand why they discourage it, but the wiki would be a great way for information exchange between researchers and those who live with the disease. Some of our experiences and anecdotes may even serve as a catalyst for new ways of looking at old, outworn ideas.

There are some creative ways to establish quality control. For instance, their could be patient liaisons or reps and Rick, Ron Hutton, and Girija would be perfect for that (others too).

Thanks, Rick!

Laura

girija 08-27-2010 12:51 PM

havenot given up yet.........

Just wanted to add my two cents worth here. I have tried very hard to initiate discussions with PD researchers on the autoimmune component of PD, sent grant applications to test my hypothesis for atleast 2 years now. All I can say is I havent been successful yet.......... I am still trying....

Girija

Jimking 08-27-2010 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by girija (Post 689072)
Just wanted to add my two cents worth here. I have tried very hard to initiate discussions with PD researchers on the autoimmune component of PD, sent grant applications to test my hypothesis for atleast 2 years now. All I can say is I havent been successful yet.......... I am still trying....

Girija

Would Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy and or Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) fall into this "Genetic Link Discovered Between Immune System" ?