NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   Vision (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/246277-vision.html)

CarolynS 04-04-2017 03:22 PM

Vision

Haven't been here is a whole, but I am so frustrated. I'm 68 amd I am having vision problems and can't get either my optometrist or opthomologist to 'hear' me!! So I'm here asking if anyone has this problem. I am told that it is because I have no-line bifocals. That is NOT my problem, but try arguing with a doctor...grrr. I was told today that it could be my sugar, which is plausible,but I doubt it, and I didn't say that, just thought it. Oh you are diabetic, blame it on diabetes...grrrr. Jan A1c was 6.2. Today's a.m. was 129; 2pm 83.

I'm fine upon rising in the morning. After doing anything relatively upclose like computer, reading on my tablet, stitching, etc., I get blurry vision which continues throughout the day and may actually lead me to sell my car because I can't read sighs, etc. I can't even read the TV guide 8' across the room.

I've been chasing this issue for months now. Frustrated and irritated

Any my thoughts are appreciated.

Jazziecat 04-14-2017 11:49 PM

I'm having the same problems trying to get doctors to listen to me. My primary care doctor says he has multiple patients with PD and never heard any of them being affected by vision problems. My opthomologist told me I shouldn't bother getting early cataracts removed, nor to get new glasses because it wouldn't help. I saw a neuro-opthomologist and she diagnosed me as having Convergence Insufficiency (double vision) but offered no help.

Even though I also have Macular Degeneration, I still have plenty of useful vision. I know I won't ever have good vision again, but I keep trying to find something that will give me some relief. I can read on the computer as long as it is in reverse video. Most people think that bigger is better, but that's not true in my case.

The vision problems due to PD are making my life a nightmare.

Peony 04-15-2017 11:45 AM

I have similar problems (blurry vision, hard to read signs, etc) & similar non-response from eye doctors--don't bother to have small cataract removed yet; your glasses are fine; can't find anything wrong. Anyone had any luck improving vision, or is it just another of the joys of PD that we can't do anything about? Perhaps better luck with a neuro-opthomologist?

made it up 04-17-2017 07:35 PM

Hi Carolyn,
I think diabetes could be the culprit.
My eyesight is a bit worse now after my annual ophthalmology test and I've gone from being pre diabetic to diabetic.
I could probably google impaired eyesight for PWP and find a few hits but I've had P.D. a long time and blame my lack of insight into the world of type 2 diabetes and its consequences.
Am now taking steps to prevent further progression of diabetes and hopefully my eyesight won't get much worse in future.
I'd hate not being able to read!:(
Best wishes

violet green 03-04-2018 09:37 PM

possible solution

HI.

I had similar problems with blurry vision especially at the computer when wearing my progressive bifocal glasses. What's working for me now is single vision computer glasses. They have a reading prescription written for the average distance that the computer(laptop) usually sits from my face. They work amazingly well. Now I can read numbers and have no eye strain after working on the computer even at night.