NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Spinal Disorders & Back Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/)
-   -   Physical Therapy (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/178051-physical-therapy.html)

Checker 10-14-2012 07:41 PM

Physical Therapy

I would like to know when I can start Physical Therapy with my neck? I am 2 weeks Post
Op,5/6 cervical anterior fusion,with cadaver, plate and screws. I cannot afford to
go to professional physical therapy,I will be doing it myself with the help with what excercises by Googling.

Jomar 10-14-2012 11:07 PM

Your doctor /surgeon should have told you what kind of time line for activities, or maybe something about that is on your hospital release form.

Do you have a follow up appt with surgeon soon? That might be when you can talk about self rehab/exercises.
The dr would be the one to give the OK, he would know best how the recovery /healing is going.

Dubious 10-14-2012 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Checker (Post 922602)
I would like to know when I can start Physical Therapy with my neck? I am 2 weeks Post
Op,5/6 cervical anterior fusion,with cadaver, plate and screws. I cannot afford to
go to professional physical therapy,I will be doing it myself with the help with what excercises by Googling.

I think you need to explain your situation to your doc and fall under his strict advisement.

I am not sure I understand how you afforded an $80,000 surgery but can't afford $1200 (or less) of PT? Be that as it may, if you choose not to go to PT, you definitely need to take that up with the surgeon as you could blow the surgery otherwise by screwing around with it on your own...

Checker 10-15-2012 08:48 AM

Canadian

I am Canadian and my surgery is covered by our Ohip but Physica Therapy is not.
My first appointment after my Sept.29 surgery is 8 weeks.They will call me for that.My release notes only stated regular activity,no no heavy lifting,that was all.That's hy I am asking for assisstance on when someone with my type of surgery,started PT? Thats all,I will be looking on Google for what t start with.I have a tense machine and all I need at home to do it mysef,I cannot afford PT,so I am the next best thing..lol. Years of going to PT with my coverage at the time I have learned to get my own equipment and Google. Thank you!!

bunz50 10-15-2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Checker (Post 922741)
My first appointment after my Sept.29 surgery is 8 weeks.They will call me for that.My release notes only stated regular activity,no no heavy lifting,that was all.That's hy I am asking for assisstance on when someone with my type of surgery,started PT? Thats all,I will be looking on Google for what t start with.I have a tense machine and all I need at home to do it mysef,I cannot afford PT,so I am the next best thing..lol. Years of going to PT with my coverage at the time I have learned to get my own equipment and Google. Thank you!!

Hello Checker, I am also from Ont. Canada, I had a 3 level ACDF in 2009, and once my neuro advised me that I could remove my collar was when my family dr okay PT, it would be good if you could afford to go once or twice just to make sure you are doing the exercises correctly. I was told thur my PT not to use the tens machine directly on the area of where the plate is situated, above/below or around the area only, something about the electros and the titanium does'nt mix.
Take care with your healing progress, your body needs it.
Good luck,
Bunz

Checker 10-15-2012 09:15 AM

Thank you

Thank you I will ask my family Doctor at the end of this month when I can go to PT. I just found out I do have coverage through my work, but just into November. I had 120 days short term coverage from when I first went off of work in July. So I am hoping to get a few treatments covered and they can give me exercises for home. Also, I have not had to wear a collar since before surgery. If I go for a car ride, I will wear it, other than that I woke up with no collar, wear no collar.

ginnie 10-15-2012 10:04 AM

Hi Checker

Ask your doctor about those PT excersises. His assistant most likely can instruct you. I started at 4 weeks. I hope you are able to have a friend massage your neck also. Much of the early PT included massage, which was wonderful. I hope you are healing well. ginnie:hug:

Dr. Smith 10-15-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Checker (Post 922741)

Just because it's not covered doesn't mean you can't ask the surgeon when you can start it, and as others have advised, I think that would be the safest and most therapeutic. Beginning it too soon/before you're healed enough could do more damage than help.

We all heal at different rates so please try to have patience; we all want this to go well for you and not have to be repeated or repaired. ;)

Doc

Checker 10-15-2012 04:53 PM

Thank you very much for your help and suggestions

mrsalkire 10-18-2012 02:11 PM

checker I had 3 level c/3-c/6 and if I wasnt having problems still he would have started pt @ 6 weeks post op.