NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Ready to return to exercise post concussion? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/205443-ready-return-exercise-post-concussion.html)

Else49ers 06-09-2014 06:56 PM

Ready to return to exercise post concussion?

Its been 4 months since i suffered a a concussion and broken wrist. Most of the headaches and dizzyness have faded and my main culprit is ringing in the ears that i am now most attentive to at night. The frequency of the ringing can intensify after some cognitive/physical activity which is still a bit of a letdown.

I would like to get back in training with 1-2 hours of lifting/running this month and since the main remaining symptom is some ringing in the ears would you think it is ok to start exercising for a marathon that takes place in the fall?

The only comparison for physical activity i have is john jaso of the oakland a's who i researched was not allowed to resume play until his post concussion ringing in the ears cleared after the season...

I dont want to relapse however i do want to start regaining strength.

Thanks to all for their feedback. Greatly appreciate it.

Bruins88 06-09-2014 07:38 PM

Start with a very light workout like walking or very light weights. 20 minutes max and gauge how you feel later that day.

SarahSmile0205 06-09-2014 07:49 PM

I do not want to be the first to tell you but... I really think that a marathon in the fall is a little ambitious... even if you were a marathon runner before...

If you have not done any activity in the last 4 months, I would start with a mile walk and see how you feel... if that feels good work your way up over the next few weeks to 3 miles...

I know every concussion is different but I am 5 months out and I tried a yoga class last week and I am still paying for it...

Please start light... super light...

Mark in Idaho 06-09-2014 11:15 PM

If you are going to run, I suggest starting with walking with ear plugs in. This way you can hear your foot plants. As you pick up speed, try to minimize the impact to your head with each foot plant. The right shoes and a smooth gait will be a big help. It will also be better for your knees and hips.

As others said, a marathon in the fall is very ambitious.

btw, Many never fully recover from the tinnitus. Do not use it as a hard and fast gauge or recovery. Head aches are the most likely symptoms to return with exercise.

Else49ers 06-11-2014 06:30 PM

Started with 15 minutes today and felt exhausted. I assume it might be from lack of sleep the past 3 months....

@mark ,

what are your estimates on tinnitus fading over time and would it likely vary on the degree of how severe the head injury might be? To my understanding those with normal hearing post concussion (sustained no hearing loss due to injury) have a very good chance that the ringing will halt within 6-12 months.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 1074779)
If you are going to run, I suggest starting with walking with ear plugs in. This way you can hear your foot plants. As you pick up speed, try to minimize the impact to your head with each foot plant. The right shoes and a smooth gait will be a big help. It will also be better for your knees and hips.

As others said, a marathon in the fall is very ambitious.

btw, Many never fully recover from the tinnitus. Do not use it as a hard and fast gauge or recovery. Head aches are the most likely symptoms to return with exercise.