NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Spinal Disorders & Back Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/)
-   -   Scar tissue after surgery (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/161068-scar-tissue-surgery.html)

Aussie99 11-21-2011 05:44 PM

Scar tissue after surgery

Is there anything that can be done about scar tissue that has developed after surgery? This seems to be the cause of my numbness.

Thank you:)

Leesa 11-22-2011 03:29 AM

There is a procedure called the "Racz" procedure. (pronounced Racks) This needs to be done 6 months to 1 1/2 yrs after surgery. It breaks up the scar tissue via laser from what I understand. I had it done, but wasn't really sure how it worked. LOL It didn't work for me cause I was 2 1/2 yrs post-surgery and the scar tissue had become too hard & fibrous to be broken up. This has worked for many people tho -- usually it's a pain management doctor who performs it. Ask your doc about it -- perhaps you'd be a good candidate if it hasn't been too long since surgery.

I wish you the best -- scar tissue sure DOES cause problems! God bless & take care. Hugs, Lee

Aussie99 11-22-2011 05:06 PM

Thank you so much

As always thank you Leesa. Idid have ortho appointment yesterday and it went ok.He reviewed new MRI and can't see anything that would be causing the bilateral numbness. Thank goodness it comes and goes. I will observe it for a while longer and then go talk to my GP. Luckily I am in no pain at all. But the numbness is an eerie feeling.

cath1 11-22-2011 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie99 (Post 826522)
Is there anything that can be done about scar tissue that has developed after surgery? This seems to be the cause of my numbness.

Thank you:)

Hi

I have scar tissue from my ACDF (C5, C6, C7) and my physiotherapist is working on it with gentle myofascial massage along with the massage therapy I have with the RMT at the physio's office. So far I'm still in a lot of pain from my issues, but I'm told it should help. (hoping)

I will keep you informed if I end up getting more then a day or so of relief from it.

I also have numbness and tingling in my fingers and hands, but not sure if that's from scar tissue or double crush syndrome.

Cathie

Aussie99 11-23-2011 03:51 AM

Good luck Cath

I hope you find some relief. It's so hard for so many of us with these spine issues. we pay so much money in hopes of getting some relief somewhere. Please do let me know how you are going and I will keep you posted on any progress I have. I saw my ortho yesterday and he said that he did not see scar tissue that would cause numbness on both sides. But....I had sciatica on both sides so why not numbness on both sides? It doesn't seem to be so far fetched to me. I have a posterior disc bulge and the new MRI states superimposed on that is scar tissue.