NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   Elizabeth Smart vindicated! (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/150969-elizabeth-smart-vindicated.html)

Twinkletoes 05-27-2011 01:17 PM

Elizabeth Smart vindicated!

The trial of sex pervert/kidnapper Brian David Mitchell is over at last!

He kidnapped Elizabeth from her bedroom when she was only 14 and held her captive 9 months, raping her nearly every day. :mad:

She is so poised and beautiful. She was able to address him face-to-face Wednesday in court before sentencing.

"I want you to know that I have a wonderful life now. No matter what you do, you will never affect me again. You took away nine months of my life that can never be returned. But I know that in this life or the next, you will be held responsible for what you have done and I hope you're ready for that when it comes."

Bravo, Elizabeth!!!

BDM said nothing. He wouldn't look directly at anyone and just sat there and sang hymns, only softer than normal. (He's been thrown out of court nearly every time because of his behavior.)

Her father, Ed, also addressed him: "Your perversion and exploitation of religion is not a defense. It is disgusting and it is an abuse that anyone should despise. You put Elizabeth through nine months of psychological hell."

Judge Kimball sentenced the creep to life in federal prison. His step-daughter visited him and asked him if he wanted to write any statement. He told her he didn't want to. "He said, "The world isn't ready for what I have to say." :confused:

Coincidentally, it was National Missing Children's Day, a cause which the Smart family is heavily involved in.

Sadly, the TV show which was "instrumental in first identifying Mitchell as a suspect in Elizabeth's disappearance" America's Most Wanted, has been canceled.

*The quotes above are from an article in the "Deseret News", written by Pat Reavy.

SallyC 05-27-2011 01:26 PM

I am so glad to hear that Ms Smart has come out on the other side of this nightmare with strength and love. :hug:

Jules A 05-27-2011 03:06 PM

Although I totally believe that he shouldn't ever be allowed out of jail to offend again please try to find it in your heart to accept that he is a very sick man. I'm not diminishing what he did and would even support the death penalty if that is what a jury of his peers dictated however that doesn't negate the fact that this man is psychologically unstable.

Twinkletoes 05-27-2011 04:50 PM

:)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jules A (Post 774178)
Although I totally believe that he shouldn't ever be allowed out of jail to offend again please try to find it in your heart to accept that he is a very sick man. I'm not diminishing what he did and would even support the death penalty if that is what a jury of his peers dictated however that doesn't negate the fact that this man is psychologically unstable.

Jules, I realize there are genuinely sick people amongst us who don't have much control over their thoughts & actions; however, my belief is that Mitchell is just plain evil and manipulative.

I guess I have such strong negative feelings because Ms. Smart is from my state and I've heard a LOT of news coverage of Brian David Mitchell. Normally I give a person the benefit of the doubt -- really I do! :)

Blessings2You 05-27-2011 05:09 PM

I remember that I wept when I learned she had been rescued. The likelihood of her being found alive was so slim. I cannot imagine what this family went through!

We used to watch America's Most Wanted faithfully, but toward the end the show "jumped the shark", so to speak, and got away from it's original format of simply featuring the dramatizations of the crimes and then mug shots, etc. Every time a tip from a watcher would lead to an arrest, we'd pump our fists and say, "YES!"

Jules A 05-27-2011 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinkletoes (Post 774209)
:)

Jules, I realize there are genuinely sick people amongst us who don't have much control over their thoughts & actions; however, my belief is that Mitchell is just plain evil and manipulative.

I guess I have such strong negative feelings because Ms. Smart is from my state and I've heard a LOT of news coverage of Brian David Mitchell. Normally I give a person the benefit of the doubt -- really I do! :)

You could be correct, no doubt his behavior is evil and I could be wrong but my psych nurse instincts are leading me to believe he is "the real deal". In any event hopefully he won't ever see the outside of a locked unit. :(

Twinkletoes 05-27-2011 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jules A (Post 774250)
You could be correct, no doubt his behavior is evil and I could be wrong but my psych nurse instincts are leading me to believe he is "the real deal". In any event hopefully he won't ever see the outside of a locked unit. :(

Well, I admire your attitude, Jules. Your patients in the psych ward are fortunate to have such a caring, non-judgmental nurse. :hug: