NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Dentist?? Are they the new Devil??? (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/22864-dentist-devil.html)

WickedGood 06-29-2007 09:01 PM

Dentist?? Are they the new Devil???

AAAggghhhh???? Is it me with RSD or what? Can RSD actually go into the face? Jaw? Facial Skeletal? (What in the hell am I talking about)? PAIN! And lots of it. Went to my Dentist recently. Yeh okay I admit, been the first in a while but i needed to get the ole pearley whites gleaming for a family get together and I never went through so much pain in my life. Just a simple cleaning and I thought I would die? I updated my dental records quite a while back informing everyone of full body RSD.

I sat and talked with the Doc and the Tooth Cleaning Lady for quite a while before she began. Holy Cow!!!! :holysheep: :Sob: She had me in tears with a simple cleaning. She even said my teeth looked really good and that she hardly did anything, but the pain had me on the ceiling. Than the Doc came in and took and look around and couldn't figure out why things were so much worse.

I told him it has to be a direct connection with RSD!!!!!

DOES ANYONE AGREE WITH ME????

I don't know anything about RSD and dental issues. Has anyone else been down this road or has my Dentist simply turned into the DEVIL!!!!:icon_twisted:

InHisHands 06-29-2007 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WickedGood (Post 118610)
AAAggghhhh???? Is it me with RSD or what? Can RSD actually go into the face? Jaw? Facial Skeletal? (What in the hell am I talking about)? PAIN! And lots of it.

YES! It DOES! Several of us here know about it, too... I have RSD in my face, jaw, and inside my mouth/ throat. I mean total allodynia too! Makes eating NO fun at all and hurts really bad. I know exactly what you mean. You're are NOT going crazy- it happens. The dentist didn't spread mine though, it spread on it's own. You might find you get spasms that start messing up your jaw (the spasms lock my jaw all the way shut).

So sorry to hear this! Was wondering if you were around, so nice seeing ya! :hug: :hug:

frogga 06-29-2007 09:59 PM

Hey Mark,

So no pearly whites then?

I also have RSD face/ jaw. Very painful, especially with spasms as well. (Ness and I seem to share that sx). I find that electric toothbrushes worsen it, high acidity food, stuff that involves chewing etc etc

It is really horrible and as IHH says, the jaw dystonia is no fun either - except for weight loss! lol

Sorry I don't know any suggestions :( I know that before my arms totally died the dental hygienest wanted mum to brush my teeth "properly" once a week because my arms were getting to weak to be able to brush them hard enough, and apparently thought the pain was gum disease type thing. It wasn't... But, look at things like the type of toothpaste, mouthwash and toothbrush you use and see if you can get better types. I use corsodyl mouthwash, some random hippy paste (bright pink and no mint which DOES make it hurt more) and a softer brush?

You're not going mad. Well. Hopefully. Otherwise IHH and I are insane.

Love ya! hows the gout??

Froggsy xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

PS - are you coming to mine as well? it's the plane trip of the century? You have a great choice of instruments!!

artist 06-29-2007 10:40 PM

Hey Mark,

Just bumped up the nice dentist's post for you..great to see you! I have similar to you at the mo - RA going from top bits to lower bits...very ouchity ouch :eek: Do you have Sjogren's too? How YOU doin'??

nuff typing, love ya!!
all the best :)

Dr. Todd: http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=22560

shiney sue 06-29-2007 10:56 PM

Hi

PNer coming through and yes i agree with you :eek: and i have
Sjogren's as well.that's a double :eek: :eek: sorry you had a hard
time.:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: Sue

artist 06-29-2007 11:46 PM

Thanks Sue, few hugs never go amiss ;) :hug:

JOAN_M 06-30-2007 08:56 PM

i will say, that one time i went to the dentist while having a flare, and i almost didn't make it through the cleaning, and i will never go again if i am flaring. i also always take something for pain before i go for even a cleaning, but if one is in the midst of a flare, we all know pain medicine does not help all that much. my dentist also swabs on the novacane before he touches me and i usually never feel a thing. live and learn, right?

NikonKid 06-30-2007 09:47 PM

when I get my teeth cleaned I always make them do it by hand....they have all these new devices that speed up the process for the hygenist but they put my pain through the roof. So slow and steady for me :)
Jeanne

Hippyhair 07-01-2007 04:21 AM

ears,nose, mouth, throat issues

Yes..I have huge mouth issues. I had posted about it before I think. I had two meds to treat thrush, and they didn't work. Mouth is on fire, can't eat crunchy or spicey foods. My throat feels like there is a golf ball in it...went through barium swallow and tests for ..(uh oh..lost the word...ummm...the thing that can be overactive or underactive..bah! I can't think of it!) Anyways, everything came out negative.
Brain gas! hee hee..
ooh ooh! Thyroid! That's it! :thud:
Hippy

InHisHands 07-01-2007 05:36 PM

Mark,

I also wanted to add here: with the mouth/ throat allodynia I have found lyrica helpful. I was already on neurontin when the RSD spread to my mouth/ throat, and was still having a lot of problems with the allodynia. Then I was started on lyrica and it has made me feel somewhat better. I know everyone is different, and different things help different people, but this is just my experience.

Also, I have found COLD helps with my mouth/ throat (ice cream :D, ice, water ice...) and so does menthol (like in cough drops).

HTH!