NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Acetyl L-Cartinine (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/247799-acetyl-cartinine.html)

Summerfun 06-26-2017 09:16 AM

Acetyl L-Cartinine

Could someone recommend the best form of acetyl l-cartinine supplement? I started taking Acetyl L-Cartinine HCl last night. It is a 400 mg capsule with 200 mg Alpha Lipoic Acid. I had a restless night with very weird dreams. I am going to try it again in case the side effects were a coincidence. If it happens again, I think I will try taking just Acetyl l-Cartinine alone. I read somewhere the Acetyl l-cartinine works best with ALA that's why I tried the combined capsule. There are so many brands and forms it makes me confused. Any help is appreciated.

mrsD 06-26-2017 09:39 AM

I would take it in the morning and see if that helps.

If not then use separately, so you can lower the doses or adjust them.

I find NOW brand to be of good quality and also Doctor's Best brand. I also use Puritan's Pride on occasion.

I did not like ALA and don't use it now. It made me very irritable.

Summerfun 06-26-2017 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 1245637)
I would take it in the morning and see if that helps.

If not then use separately, so you can lower the doses or adjust them.

I find NOW brand to be of good quality and also Doctor's Best brand. I also use Puritan's Pride on occasion.

I did not like ALA and don't use it now. It made me very irritable.

Thank you very much Mrs D. So I took it this AM and will see what happens tonight. If I have sleep issues I will try separately. I recall a recommendation from you to take one supplement at a time to see which is causing the problem or helping. So I will start with the Acetyl l-Cartinine. Do you think the 400 mg is a good starting dose? Is so, and if that works, then that would tell me the ALA was causing the problem.

pinkynose 06-26-2017 05:46 PM

I take Jarrow's 250mg Acetyl L- Carnitine every morning. It is one of my most important supplements. I only take 1 because when I tried increasing to 2 it effected my sleep. I am not a great sleeper and many things cause me sleep problems. Jarrow is the only reputable brand I've found that makes that low a dose. When I began taking it I felt an energy boast and desire to get things done. I don't feel that same type of boost now but if I stop taking it I have a decrease in energy. That's how I know it's still working for me.

Summerfun 06-26-2017 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkynose (Post 1245679)
I take Jarrow's 250mg Acetyl L- Carnitine every morning. It is one of my most important supplements. I only take 1 because when I tried increasing to 2 it effected my sleep. I am not a great sleeper and many things cause me sleep problems. Jarrow is the only reputable brand I've found that makes that low a dose. When I began taking it I felt an energy boast and desire to get things done. I don't feel that same type of boost now but if I stop taking it I have a decrease in energy. That's how I know it's still working for me.

Thank you. This is very good to know. I have bouts of insomnia but not weird dreams like I had last night. This is my second night (took it this AM) so will see how it goes. I am taking it for nerve health as I don't have a problem with energy unless the nerve pain (or insomnia!) gets really bad. This is such a strange illness to deal with. Every day is different. I will update tomorrow. Thanks again.

Summerfun 06-27-2017 08:52 AM

So I slept better last night and will continue with 400 mg Acetyl l-cartinine and 200 mg ALA (combined capsule) for now. Will see what happens, if anything.
Thanks!

Summerfun 06-29-2017 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summerfun (Post 1245753)
So I slept better last night and will continue with 400 mg Acetyl l-cartinine and 200 mg ALA (combined capsule) for now. Will see what happens, if anything.
Thanks!

My doctor advised me to stop taking Acetyl l-Cartinine until we get a baseline. Apparently there are safety concerns that are not prevalently stated in the literature. Specifically, atherosclerosis later in life. I will have a blood test in a few weeks to get a baseline and take it from there. It makes sense to see if there is a deficiency before supplementing. Just thought I would pass this along.

mrsD 06-29-2017 11:23 AM

You might find this interesting.....

Health Vitamins & Supplements Products | Dr. Julian Whitaker

I think you can see benefits at only 250mg a day....I do that dose and so do some others here past and present.

Summerfun 06-29-2017 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 1245967)
You might find this interesting.....

Health Vitamins & Supplements Products | Dr. Julian Whitaker

I think you can see benefits at only 250mg a day....I do that dose and so do some others here past and present.

Thank you Mrs D. I read the attached article and find it very interesting and frustrating at the same time. Nothing is clear cut. There is a tremendous amount of positive literature out there on this supplement so I will continue discussions with my doctor after I get my blood level checked. Ultimately it is my decision which doesn't make it any easier.