NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Medications (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/86347-medications.html)

wildberry2277 05-06-2009 07:13 AM

Medications

I was wondering what ppl take for pain.. I have taking Opana 80 mgs 2 x a day and percocet 4 a day for over 3 years now and they are no longer working i was wondering what you all take so when i go to the doctor i can make some reccomdations for pain medication switch.. i cant take vicdion i vomit from it... so i dont know what to do for the pain and its out of controll could you guys make any suggestions... :confused:

Thanks Jacquelina

Pain free hugs and good thoughts to all of you.. :hug:

CRPSbe 05-06-2009 09:22 AM

Maybe you should wait for your doctor to recommend something to you that will be good for your specific situation? Have you seen the doctor yet, told him or her about the meds no longer working? What did s/he say? What might be your options? I think that's the way to go.

You can read in my sig what my meds are. I am not at all recommending this for you, I am not a doctor, I am just letting you know that there is an RSD patient out there taking these particular meds.

We all react to things differently. I started taking Gabapentin, then I was put on Fentanyl patches, but they didn't work and made my head hurt, so then I was switched to Buprenorphine pain patches.

What works for me might not work for you. Basically, I think your doctor will know more about what to prescribe for you in your case. I don't feel comfortable talking about meds this way, sorry.

wildberry2277 05-06-2009 01:24 PM

My doctor has hit a wall and is no longer suggestion anything... I am very frustrated so i am going to see a diffrent doc i have seen before and i am hoping he will help me... Its hard when the doc you have been working with for 3 years just gives up... Its scary to me... I am starting to think there may be no hope.. .:(

baseballfan 05-06-2009 02:10 PM

Hello

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildberry2277 (Post 506429)
I was wondering what ppl take for pain.. I have taking Opana 80 mgs 2 x a day and percocet 4 a day for over 3 years now and they are no longer working i was wondering what you all take so when i go to the doctor i can make some reccomdations for pain medication switch.. i cant take vicdion i vomit from it... so i dont know what to do for the pain and its out of controll could you guys make any suggestions... :confused:

Thanks Jacquelina

Hi Jacquelina,

These are the meds I take for pain. 5 mg Percocet 4 times a day, lidoderm patches(can use 3 at a time) 12 hours on 12 off(I usually have to take the patches off after a few hours hurts to bad to have them on, but do help my pain a little) Lyrica 300 mg, Klonopin 1 mg, Robaxin 750 2 times a day. Hope this helps you.

Kate

AintSoBad 05-06-2009 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildberry2277 (Post 506614)
My doctor has hit a wall and is no longer suggestion anything... I am very frustrated so i am going to see a diffrent doc i have seen before and i am hoping he will help me... Its hard when the doc you have been working with for 3 years just gives up... Its scary to me... I am starting to think there may be no hope.. .:(

Jacquelina,

Please, don't give up there IS hope!
Maybe your meds need to be adjusted, I know that some who take Opana, take two different strengths, one is not the ER, it's for breakthrough pain.

I do seem to remember that some are taking more Opana than what you take. I don't know how effective percocet can be against rsd?

Do you see a Pain Management psychiatrist? You should if you can.

A Neurologist?

Do your best to keep yourself moving, and find doctors that are knowledgeable about rsd..

I take a "cocktail" of meds that starts with methadone. I feel terrible this past week for some reason, I suspect the weather, and some stress.

It might help if you think of this as an "assignment" or a to-do. You must have good doctors!

Take good care!
Pete
asb
:hug:

angelrsd 05-06-2009 10:29 PM

i have a pump with fentanyl in it.... i also take zanaflex 12mg 3x's daily , nortriplylne 25mg at night lunesta at night . percoset when i only have to because it makes me sick but i cant take any other pain meds by mouth as this is the only one left that hasnt made me stop breaking yet (knocking on wood ) and when i take it .. the dose is 10/325 2 every 4 hrs as needed

carrie

Dew58 05-07-2009 12:07 AM

There is always HOPE. You are tired and feel helpless at the moment..but LIFE will get better.

I have felt helpless from this culprit before and I finally feel better..almost my old self again. No, I can't do physically as I did in the past;however, I sleep now, I have mostly low pain levels, and I actually smile and laugh again.

Talk to your PM doc. Share that you feel helpless with his/her lack of suggestions to ease your pain situation. Everyone has a bad day..he/she might have had such a day:confused:

:hug:

SCourcier 05-07-2009 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildberry2277 (Post 506429)

Thanks Jacquelina

I think you are doing pretty good, but I do not know what Opana is? I used to take percocet for breakthrough, but found the Dilaudid to be better for me.

I take 24 10mg tabs of methadone a day for my base pain

I use Flexiril and Dilaudid for breakthrough pain as needed

Cymbalta and Xanax daily for anxiety and depression

Requip for Restless Legs/kicking my wife in bed/sudden severe charlie horse cramps in the middle of my sleep

and Dextroamphetamine to wake me up.

I think I am going to go ahead and have the stimulator permanently implanted and hope that this will help me to cut back on my meds.

AintSoBad 05-07-2009 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCourcier (Post 507238)
I think you are doing pretty good, but I do not know what Opana is? I used to take percocet for breakthrough, but found the Dilaudid to be better for me.

I take 24 10mg tabs of methadone a day for my base pain

I use Flexiril and Dilaudid for breakthrough pain as needed

Cymbalta and Xanax daily for anxiety and depression

Requip for Restless Legs/kicking my wife in bed/sudden severe charlie horse cramps in the middle of my sleep

and Dextroamphetamine to wake me up.

I think I am going to go ahead and have the stimulator permanently implanted and hope that this will help me to cut back on my meds.

Is this correct, you're taking 240mg. of methadone / day?
All from one doctor?
Just wondering if that's not a misprint?

pete
asb

SCourcier 05-08-2009 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AintSoBad (Post 507283)
Is this correct, you're taking 240mg. of methadone / day?
All from one doctor?
Just wondering if that's not a misprint?

pete
asb

not a misprint. I take six 10 mg tabs four times a day and this pain group is known for being extremely **** about patients and dosages. they tested me every time I came in for around six months.

the sad part is my tolerance is so high - always has been - that I get little relief and no one I meet ever knows I am even on meds.