NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Are you always afraid of hitting your head? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/151895-afraid-hitting-head.html)

kayseeah 06-13-2011 07:36 PM

Are you always afraid of hitting your head?

That might sound a little weird, but it's something that I've noticed since I had my car accident and first got PCS.

Every car I see on the road, every door I look at, ever sharp corner or window ledge or anything remotely large or heavy, I imagine as a threat to my safety. I am worried it is going to hit my head, and in the moment, I can "feel" the impact of the accident in my mind, sort of like re-living it.

My friends tease me about "ducking" in lower doorways, etc. but I can't get over the anxiety and fear of hitting my head.

Does anyone go through this, too?

Mark in Idaho 06-13-2011 07:58 PM

I do a bit. Probably because I have bumped my head so many times. Sometimes, PCS can cause visual perception problems. Depth perception, etc. can make you feel insecure with your movements.

Might be worth getting checked out for vestibular and vision functions.

postconcussion 06-13-2011 08:14 PM

I cover my head too

Hello.

I also do this. :)

Just today I was at the pool and a kid jumped in the water right next to me. I ducked and covered my head a bit.

I think it is just my body's natural reaction to protect my head.

You're not alone:)

nightnurse30 06-13-2011 09:09 PM

Absolutely!!! I bet you the majority of us are afraid of it. I already consider scenarios i might be put in and wonder up things i would say so i wont be in danger. Especially after reading about SIS and the dangers of having more than 1 concussion!

freezerdoor 06-13-2011 09:20 PM

Yes, absolutely. Today my family was throwing a baseball around me and it freaked me out for a minute. My eyes don't seem to be able to track something like a ball flying through the air like I used to and the mere prescence of it anywhere even in the same yard sort of freaked me out for a moment. I never used to think much of things like that.

SmilinEyesMs305 06-14-2011 08:10 AM

I also experience this!!! I think behaviorally, the punishment of the first time we hit our heads, (ending up with PCS) is something so aversive that we will do anything to avoid the risk again. Mine is a result of a car accident, and even though I can only tolerate short rides, I freak out when my boyfriend is too close to other cars because I'm afraid they are going to stop suddenly.

So yes, I totally understand!;)

Lara 06-14-2011 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmilinEyesMs305 (Post 778715)
I also experience this!!! I think behaviorally, the punishment of the first time we hit our heads, (ending up with PCS) is something so aversive that we will do anything to avoid the risk again.

Well said. Same here. <sigh>

Actually that's very like anxiety or panic attacks from how I see and feel it. I get so afraid sometimes of hitting my head again that I totally avoid certain situations. I have a very slippery and steep driveway here where I live and I can't walk down it in shoes. When vertigo is really bad I use a walking stick. Once I'm off the uneven walkway, I'm just fine. Basically, I'm afraid of falling again like the first time.

p.s. I think this would be quite a common and normal/usual reaction under the circumstances. People who have not experienced this may not understand.

megan825 06-15-2011 11:41 AM

I'm the same way. I cover my head and duck. If someone says watch out thats the first thing i do. :)

Jeffrey 06-16-2011 12:33 AM

I try not to cross over into fear, but live in caution of hitting anything, especially the head. The brain's so busy healing itself, the smallest problem elsewhere in the body seems to be amplified for me.

Watch out for low tree branches & pinecones. I bumped my head on a low branch a month or so ago while focusing on the city sidewalk (not to trip on a crack/debris).

Galaxy1012 08-31-2014 09:28 AM

Same here. I think I will always live in the fear of hitting my head again and going through it all over again! Don't know how soccer players just go about doing anything from jumping, running, crashing into each other and head striking the ball over and over again after one concussion.