NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Food allergies?? (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/183255-food-allergies.html)

Karengirl7 01-31-2013 07:14 AM

Food allergies??

So I just the ALCAT done. To see it my idiopathic hand neuropathy is an inflammation response to a food maybe gluten. Any opinions? All I can say is if it is....ill thank god I can either rid of it or control it!

QJayde5 02-12-2013 08:03 PM

I have food allergies. I notice that when I eliminate those foods, my neuropathy sometimes gets a little better. I also have a Vitamin D deficiency. My neurologist said that also can cause my neuropathy.

keepingfaith 02-12-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QJayde5 (Post 956682)
I have food allergies. I notice that when I eliminate those foods, my neuropathy sometimes gets a little better. I also have a Vitamin D deficiency. My neurologist said that also can cause my neuropathy.

That's interesting about the vitamin D. I also have wondered if that could be the cause of my neuropathy but I have been unable to find any supporting evidence of that. Where is your neuropathy affecting you if you don't mind me asking?

Sallysblooms 02-12-2013 11:24 PM

Yes, Vit D is one thing to get to a good level for sure.

pabb 02-13-2013 10:17 AM

did you have celiac testing as well??

QJayde5 02-14-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keepingfaith (Post 956728)
That's interesting about the vitamin D. I also have wondered if that could be the cause of my neuropathy but I have been unable to find any supporting evidence of that. Where is your neuropathy affecting you if you don't mind me asking?

I have neuropathy in my feet, hands, and chin. My neurologist tested my Vitamin D. He said Low Vitamin D can cause problems.

I'm not sure what else could be causing my neuropathy.

keepingfaith 02-15-2013 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QJayde5 (Post 957267)
I have neuropathy in my feet, hands, and chin. My neurologist tested my Vitamin D. He said Low Vitamin D can cause problems.

I'm not sure what else could be causing my neuropathy.

I know low D can cause issues and I started supplementing recently. I feel it is helping a little, but I can already tell it's not going to fix this whole problem. I also have a ton of other symptoms going on which are awful. I have neuropathy in my legs, feet, and if possible I also have it in my mouth and throat. I get this horrible burning pain all down my throat and on my tongue.

I feel your pain. This is a horrible thing to deal with everyday. For both our sakes I hope it is the D, but it can be caused by so many things it's hard to tell.

pabb 02-16-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keepingfaith (Post 957312)
I know low D can cause issues and I started supplementing recently. I feel it is helping a little, but I can already tell it's not going to fix this whole problem. I also have a ton of other symptoms going on which are awful. I have neuropathy in my legs, feet, and if possible I also have it in my mouth and throat. I get this horrible burning pain all down my throat and on my tongue.

I feel your pain. This is a horrible thing to deal with everyday. For both our sakes I hope it is the D, but it can be caused by so many things it's hard to tell.

burning tongue can be B12 def. Have you had complete celiac testing?

keepingfaith 02-16-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pabb (Post 957628)
burning tongue can be B12 def. Have you had complete celiac testing?

My B12 has always been normal at around 500-600 every time I test. I have not been tested for celiac though or gluten sensitivity. That would be a blessing if that was my problem. At least that's how I feel. But my vitamin levels are normal all except for D and iron. Would it be possible to have a gluten intolerance with neurological symptoms but still have normal vitamin levels?

glenntaj 02-17-2013 06:33 AM

It certainly is possible--

--to have gluten intolerance presenting as neurological symptoms; jcc's The Gluten File has a lot of information on this (especially that compiled by Dr. Hadijvassiliou):

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread1872.html

Also, a vitamin B12 level between 500-600 is borderline to me (especially if you're NOT vegetarian); there have been reports of people having symptoms of B12 deficiency at times even with levels up to 700; it depends on how much active B12 is being used (whether there are methylation problems, for example). The homocysteine and methylomaic acid (MMA) tests might be more accurate indicators of whether you're actually at good levels of usable B12.