NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Hydrocephalus (https://www.neurotalk.org/hydrocephalus/)
-   -   What is the best to Diagnose Hydro? MRI? (https://www.neurotalk.org/hydrocephalus/76451-diagnose-hydro-mri.html)

somegent 02-04-2009 10:36 AM

What is the best to Diagnose Hydro? MRI?

:eek:Hi guys,

I would like to know the chances of an MRI finding able to pick up hydro if you have a mild or minor form of hydro.

I have had three episodes where I vomit.

And almost every time I drink water, esp if I have just two glasses about 4 hours or so after I feel a bit of a headache, dizzy etc. I also apparently have epilepsy.

If I do an MRI is that sufficient? If it's 90% or so, I'd be fine to do an MRI, but if there is better testing methods then I can do that? I heard a lumber punch is good, but is that expensive?

Need help to find out if I have Hydro or not, it seems like I do. I don't have too much money to spend. :(

somegent 02-04-2009 10:56 AM

The best way to diagnose Hydro? MRI?

Hi guys,

What is the best way to find out if you have hydro, what is the best test an MRI?

I heard a lumber punch is good, but is that expensive?

I think I have a mild form of Hydro, as I vomit once every few months or so. Especially if I drink too much water. Even after just 2 glasses after water, about 4 hours after i get a headache and get dizzy.

What are the chances an mri could miss hydro? if its 90% acurate thats fine. But i have looked all over the net and cant find anything.

I think I have a mild case of hydro, and i dont have much money to spend.

anyone know what the best test is to see if i have this or not?

jadiee-x 02-04-2009 04:35 PM

Hi, a CT scan will show up whether you have hydro or not, this will show your ventricles on screen, if they are enlarged then this will show you to have hydro.

Im not aware of any prices due to living in the UK and all medication is paid by the NHS.

Good Luck.

somegent 02-05-2009 02:44 AM

Thanks,

Will an MRI be just as good as a CT scan?

manikinxvx 02-06-2009 06:49 AM

From my experience

From my personal experience, the BEST diagnosis for an obstructed shunt/hydro is a Radio Isotope Test. Prior to one of my shunt revisions, I had several MRI's at one medical facility, but when I went across the state to another facility, they performed the Radio Isotope Test, and I was in surgery right away, because my shunt was obstructed from top to bottom. However, I also have Slit Ventricle Syndrome, which skews my MRI's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by somegent (Post 459943)
:eek:Hi guys,

I would like to know the chances of an MRI finding able to pick up hydro if you have a mild or minor form of hydro.

I have had three episodes where I vomit.

And almost every time I drink water, esp if I have just two glasses about 4 hours or so after I feel a bit of a headache, dizzy etc. I also apparently have epilepsy.

If I do an MRI is that sufficient? If it's 90% or so, I'd be fine to do an MRI, but if there is better testing methods then I can do that? I heard a lumber punch is good, but is that expensive?

Need help to find out if I have Hydro or not, it seems like I do. I don't have too much money to spend. :(