NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Anyone have a Sleep Study? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/139718-sleep-study.html)

eponagirl 12-01-2010 12:25 PM

Anyone have a Sleep Study?

I had a sleep study the other night and didn't fall asleep until an hour before the study was over. That is one of my complaints since the accident, that without meds, I cannot fall asleep well anymore. Waiting to hear the results.

Has anyone had a sleep study done since having PCS? Any diagnoses or helpful info from it?

Some of my sleep issues have been helped by getting hormones and nutrition balanced. I owe that to Mark, who gives excellent advice!!

MarileeG 12-01-2010 02:17 PM

Hey there eponagirl,

I have had a sleep study but not since PCS. I didn’t fall asleep til mine was almost over either. I did get a lot better after the sleep study, but since PCS, I’m with you. I can’t fall asleep without meds.

Good luck with it and if you’re up to it, it would be interesting to hear what they say. Did you go to a naturopath regarding the hormone balancing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by eponagirl (Post 721444)
I had a sleep study the other night and didn't fall asleep until an hour before the study was over. That is one of my complaints since the accident, that without meds, I cannot fall asleep well anymore. Waiting to hear the results.

Has anyone had a sleep study done since having PCS? Any diagnoses or helpful info from it?

Some of my sleep issues have been helped by getting hormones and nutrition balanced. I owe that to Mark, who gives excellent advice!!

eponagirl 12-01-2010 02:50 PM

Hi MarileeG, I will post my sleep study if it comes back with anything. I went to a nurse midwife who specializes in women's health for balancing out hormones, etc. I have gone to a naturopath who did similiar things though. A regular Dr can order the blood tests you need too. Mark has stated here a few times about what things to check. TSH (thyroid levels), Vit B, Vit D, Progesterone levels, etc. The TSH old standard range was .3-5.0, they have since changed it to .3-3.5 (you should be at or below 3 though). The higher level, the lower functioning your thyroid is.

MarileeG 12-01-2010 03:01 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the info on the hormone checks Epona. Mark mentioned this in a note to me along with lots of other super good information and I forgot about the hormone stuff.

Got focused on the NUCCA chiro research. I had also read about craniosacral therapy - your post on that was awesome. Thank you for sharing all of that valuable infor.

I'd like to try both of these things - i get held back b/c I'm not so good at asking people to drive me around... gotta get over that to get better. hope you're doing well today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eponagirl (Post 721494)
Hi MarileeG, I will post my sleep study if it comes back with anything. I went to a nurse midwife who specializes in women's health for balancing out hormones, etc. I have gone to a naturopath who did similiar things though. A regular Dr can order the blood tests you need too. Mark has stated here a few times about what things to check. TSH (thyroid levels), Vit B, Vit D, Progesterone levels, etc. The TSH old standard range was .3-5.0, they have since changed it to .3-3.5 (you should be at or below 3 though). The higher level, the lower functioning your thyroid is.

July63 12-02-2010 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eponagirl (Post 721444)

I had a sleep study a couple months ago, and have another one schd. for Dec 17th to have the machine fitted. It was done at Belluvue hospital, I took my laptop, watched a movie, then they let me take my medications (I take 11 meds, 7 of them at night). One of my meds was Ambien; I slept like a baby and thought I slept really well. I ended up being told I have severe apnea.

Why didn't they let you take your meds? They told me to take my meds cause it was what I do on a daily basis. Maybe they should re-do your sleep study with medication?

I had an overall enjoyable sleep study.

eponagirl 12-02-2010 05:48 PM

I'm currently off any meds to sleep, the amitryptaline was making me groggy too far into the next day and was starting to not work that well anymore either. I don't take anything but a small dose of cold medicine to sleep now...starting taking it during a cold a couple of weeks ago. The neurologist wanted me to get a sleep study because I mentioned that I tried increasing my ami from 10mg to 20mg (am allowed to go up to 30mg) and was it repressed my respiratory system so much that I gasped for breath once in the night. I knew it was too much for me an hour after taking it. That has never happened to me before or since, so I know it's not sleep apnea...didn't happen during my last sleep study 2 yrs ago either. She wanted to make sure, thus the test. I had only complained to her so far that I have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep...which showed up clearly in the test this week. Now I am so off this week from that experience and am getting another cold!