NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/)
-   -   New Member, Recurrent Foot Drop from Peroneal Nerve Entrapment (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/180894-recurrent-foot-drop-peroneal-nerve-entrapment.html)

footdrophater 12-11-2012 11:25 AM

New Member, Recurrent Foot Drop from Peroneal Nerve Entrapment

Hi,

I am 28/M from New York City. Just wanted to introduce myself and seek advice from the gurus here.

Original symptoms were partial foot drop that progressed to full foot drop upon walking. This was early 2008.

Decompression done in Oct 2010. I could walk long distances without issues though not able to run.

After vigorous exercise in Dec 2010, got foot drop again in Jan 2012. Decompression done again in April 2012 and was able to walk long distances again .

Vigorous exercise in Oct 2012 and I now have a drop again.

I am concerned about a repeat surgery. My surgeon wants to wait a few months. We don't know why it is happening.

(1) Could it be that scar or even normal tissue can expand upon vigorous exercise and trap the nerve ?
(2) Are there any risks with repeated decompression surgeries ?
(3) Are there any nerve protection systems to prevent nerve from getting trapped again ?

Thanks a lot. Looking forward to a reply.

klcmcc 12-24-2012 02:08 PM

I have had bilateral peroneal nerve entrapments three times on my left and twice on my right all surgically corrected. Currently, I'm developing another recurrence on my right.

The theories ranging for my issues have been a double crush syndrome (as I also had nerve decompression at L5/S1, HPPN (a genetic disorder which causes entrapment of nerves) and just bad luck. The HPPN has been disproven as I do not have the genetic markers which would support this diagnosis. The back issues also are no longer present. I just saw a rheumatologist who has diagnosed me with a hyperlaxity issue. He feels that all my joints are extra lax which is causing my muscles to clamp down to hold my joints in place which is in turn clamping down on my nerves.

Have you had your biomechanics looked at? Have you lost alot of weight recently? Are any of your other nerves affected such as carpal tunnel?

What was the impression the first time the doctor got in there to remove the entrapment? It's a relatively uncomplicated surgery and the recovery is typically very easy. If you don't get it fixed, the long term complications is that your nerve can simply die and you will have no function of dorsiflexion.

-------

Quote:

Originally Posted by footdrophater (Post 938623)
I am 28/M from New York City. Just wanted to introduce myself and seek advice from the gurus here.

Original symptoms were partial foot drop that progressed to full foot drop upon walking. This was early 2008.

Decompression done in Oct 2010. I could walk long distances without issues though not able to run.

After vigorous exercise in Dec 2010, got foot drop again in Jan 2012. Decompression done again in April 2012 and was able to walk long distances again .

Vigorous exercise in Oct 2012 and I now have a drop again.

I am concerned about a repeat surgery. My surgeon wants to wait a few months. We don't know why it is happening.

(1) Could it be that scar or even normal tissue can expand upon vigorous exercise and trap the nerve ?
(2) Are there any risks with repeated decompression surgeries ?
(3) Are there any nerve protection systems to prevent nerve from getting trapped again ?

Thanks a lot. Looking forward to a reply.

azoyizes 12-24-2012 09:32 PM

Welcome to NT. We're so glad you found us!

Here is the link to Spinal Disorders and Back Pain:

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forum22.html

You will find so many friendly, helpful, and caring people here.

Darlene 12-26-2012 01:00 AM

Nice to meet you!!

footdrophater & klcmcc

:Wave-Hello: It is great to have you come and be with us. You will fine a great number of dear friends to listen when you are in need of ears. Please, just let us know how we can help you out. You will find out we are supportive and relaxing place.

Please keep us up to date on your situation. Again welcome, looking forward to seeing you around. My thoughts and prayers are with you. :smileypray:

:hug:

Rrae 12-26-2012 01:42 PM

Welcome to the both of you! :hug:

You've come to a wonderful place of support and understanding. Folks are very helpful here.

Make yourselves right at home. I hope you will get some answers very soon!

Rae
:grouphug: