NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   My heirloom project (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/108629-heirloom-project.html)

Blessings2You 11-21-2009 06:44 PM

My heirloom project

I have LOTS of heirloom-type items that I've inherited from both sides of my family...nothing of much intrinsic value, but things like my grandmother's baby doll, a napkin holder my Grandpa made for me, a lamp my dad made, some portraits, souvenirs, etc. Most everything is "yard sale value", except for the memories.

It occurred to me that not only will my children and grandchild not remember the stories behind these things, someday I may not remember them myself. After I'm gone, a lot of things will be "junk" to them. It will be theirs to keep or dispose of as they wish, but I want them at least to know the stories before they decide.

God bless the person who invented the digital camera! I've been taking pictures of things, printing them out as a wallet size or 3X5 print on a full-size sheet of white paper, and then writing the information on the paper next to the picture.

I'm filing these in my "After I Croak" file for my daughter. Some of them I've noted who should get a certain thing...my son the old pump organ, my daughter the marble top table, my granddaughter my mother's little red chair, etc. The rest they can draw straws or duke it out, whatever. But at least they'll know what's what.

Riverwild 11-21-2009 06:52 PM

What a good idea!

We take the ashes of our people to our family owned summer home and scatter them there. I asked one of the younger generation who was there, thinking she would remember since she had scattered most of them through the years. She got a few people right, but not all of them and I was horrified that no one would remember since we have no stones or markers.

I started a book, using a journal with a lovely cover and an attached pen. I wrote down date of birth and death, along with date of scattering of the ashes and who was there. I left a few pages after each person's information for people to write their memories of the person. It's working out just fine and as people go there, they discover the book, enclose pictures and leave their memories. I'm happy because it hurt me to think that my beloved relations might be forgotten. They are the reason we still have the old place and they deserve to be remembered. I know that someday, I will be in that book too. :)

TwoKidsTwoCats 11-21-2009 10:36 PM

B2Y, what a wonderful idea! I have some "heirloom" pieces ...more like oddball things :D... that only have meaning to me, but they came from my grandparents home. My sons would never know that the glass door knob that sits on the bookshelf was once on my grandparents front door. I have Aunt Vera's rose bead necklace. No one alive now remembers her because she died in the 1920's at 18 years of age. I really need to identify this stuff for my sons to have to pass on the stories.

karousel 11-21-2009 11:23 PM

B2Y - what a wonderful idea!! I do tell my DD where things came from, why I have them, but she most likely won't remember later in life. It will be her decision to toss those items but at least she will know what they meant to me.

Dejibo 11-22-2009 08:32 AM

I have that "what my family needs to know" book. The one that lists all the credit card #s , insurance policy #s and where they are hidden, and so forth. This way if I croak with the DH the kids wont be so lost on where stuff is. I think a book to explain treasures is a great idea. It will then be up to them to decide if they want to treasure it too. Thanks for the project. :hug:

braingonebad 11-22-2009 10:35 AM

With technology now, it's a lot easier to do stuff like this. A lot cheaper too. I can't imagine, even if I tried to take pics of items and write what they meant to me, that anyone could read my handwriting.

:o

Now I can do both the pix and writing digitally - YAY! - print it all out and put it in a binder.

Also have been meaning to do something like that for insurance purposes. Put it on a cd in a bank deposit box.

SallyC 11-22-2009 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dejibo (Post 592342)
I think a book to explain treasures is a great idea. It will then be up to them to decide if they want to treasure it too. Thanks for the project. :hug:

When I inherited all the treasures, I had no explanation, so I only keep the things that meant something to me. A very good Idea to write stuff down, so my Kids and grands can decide what they want to keep and pass on.

Thanks Blessings for the idea..:)

Kitty 11-22-2009 01:27 PM

Wonderful idea! Write it down & document it while it's fresh in your mind. At least that's what I should do. :rolleyes: I just found some writings from my Mom and I have enjoyed reading them so much. I feel like I just got to spend the morning with her. :)