NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   No t.v. news (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/244139-news.html)

Mari 01-19-2017 04:15 AM

No t.v. news

Election night (Tuesday, November 8) was the last time I watched ANY
television news.

I do not even watch ANY of the late night comedians because I do not want to hear their take on the news.

I do read some news on Slate or the Guardian. I think that lately I have been reading too much.

Also, this week I started watching the Rachel Maddow show a little bit. I like
the way she turns the news into stories. She keeps things calm.

But maybe I have to stop watching her and stop reading altogether because I am feeling sad.
Or worse.
It is is like a deep feeling that something is wrong . . . .something stronger than sadness.

M

OhKay 01-19-2017 06:35 AM

When I'm not doing well, I just can't watch the news at all, but sometimes I can read it.

Trust your instincts and only watch what makes you feel comfortable, or maybe only watch programs that you know are soothing for now.

I'm so sorry you are feeling this way Mari :hug::hug::hug:

bizi 01-19-2017 08:23 PM

I agree, only watch what you feel comfortable watching.:hug:
I have been on the internet too much in general.
Need to get a grip.
bizi

mymorgy 01-20-2017 07:56 AM

i undersand totally. I am beginning to read finally junky fiction, I want to listen and read spiritual things

Vowel Lady 01-21-2017 01:25 PM

I totally understand.
I'm not sure there are news stations that don't have at least a slight slant politically.
I personally think this type of thing is horrible. I have some background in journalism and the news media today is abhorrent to me.
I was taught just the facts...who, what,why, when, where and how...get a variety of opinions / views from experts etc. Don't show your personal opinion.
Opinion is for opinion pieces only.
I think PBS might be more or less ok. I honestly don't even know!
So, if most of the news you watch tends to have a slight slant to it, like it or not, you are being influenced.
I personally just think it is healthier to get the facts and form your own opinion and then now and again watch something that is clearly slated as an opinion piece simply because that is what you like and enjoy.
AND this last election was sooo over the top (IMHO) with rhetoric, upset, anger....it left me cold and at times nervous.
I haven't stopped watching the news, but have CUT BACK A LOT and we actually watch a few different channels when we do.
Very disappointed in the media and how negative everything seems to be.

OhKay 01-23-2017 07:35 AM

I couldn't agree with you more Vowel Lady.

Mari 01-23-2017 01:29 PM

the point of the news is to keep us watching

My issue with the news is not so much about whether or not it is negative.
My issue is about the "Vibe."

I wish they did not try to make it exciting -- music, production with fast cutting scenes . . . . . . repetition, preview of what is coming up, .. fast cutting back and forth, fast talking, . . . . .Even the voices are annoying.

They are trying to keep us watching.
All of that produces anxiety.

=-=-=-
After watching it, sometimes I do not even know if I got any actual information. It is almost like they are confusing us or giving us only pieces of info.

=-=-
If there is something I want to know about, I have to read it online.
TV news is pretty awful and depressing.

=-=-=-=-=
It is hard because sometimes I do want to know what is going on . . . . . and
yet I have to focus on my own stability.

=-=-=
Sometimes TV helps me with my mood and anxiety stuff. Other times, it makes things worse.
I wish I could count on the TV to use as a tool to help me get through my days.

M

Brokenfriend 01-23-2017 08:03 PM

I agree Mari. I also don't like their unnecessary use of the words "Breaking News". It's just more hype. Back in the 60's it was used very rarely. I change the channel to the Andy Griffith show allot to get some relief. BF:hug::hug::hug:

Mari 01-24-2017 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brokenfriend (Post 1234447)
I agree Mari. I also don't like their unnecessary use of the words "Breaking News". It's just more hype. Back in the 60's it was used very rarely. I change the channel to the Andy Griffith show allot to get some relief. BF:hug::hug::hug:

Oh, yes, Friend!

The "breaking news" bit makes me want to change the channel.

Those folks are so obnoxious about making the audience feel some kind of urgency.

M

Brokenfriend 01-24-2017 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mari (Post 1234469)
Oh, yes, Friend!

The "breaking news" bit makes me want to change the channel.

Those folks are so obnoxious about making the audience feel some kind of urgency.

M

Yes Mari. That is so true. BF:hug::hug::hug: