NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Magnesium Supplements...... (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/144031-magnesium-supplements.html)

invisable 01-29-2011 11:09 PM

Magnesium Supplements......

Does anyone find supplements such as Slow-Mag helps with sensations, etc. I have been taking it for a while now, hoping I am doing the right thing.

Does anyone know if is harmful on the body to take as a supplement?

Dr. Smith 01-29-2011 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by invisable (Post 739771)
Does anyone find supplements such as Slow-Mag helps with sensations, etc. I have been taking it for a while now, hoping I am doing the right thing.

Does anyone know if is harmful on the body to take as a supplement?

I've been taking magnesium lactate (as directed on the bottle) for a little over a month now, based on stuff I read here. So far, I haven't noticed anything either way.

Doc

daniella 01-30-2011 03:44 AM

I was suggested magnesium by the holistic doctor I saw. I have been taking magnesium glycinate and it is the only supplement I order online. I don't really feel any different but who knows and I don't think it can hurt unless you have another medical condition or a med that interacts. Just talk to your doc and make sure or call the pharmacy. Slowmag has been suggested on here too as being good.

mrsD 01-30-2011 09:17 AM

Here is a good monograph on magnesium.

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocente...als/magnesium/

About 70% of people are low in this mineral intake, because of poor eating habits in US.

Your goal for dosing should be 50% of the RDA. The RDA is in elemental form, not total weight.

Your label should explain how much elemental is in your product.

For SlowMag it is about 64mg/tablet. Taking 2 a day of these, gives 120mg and your RDA is about 350mg. So no you cannot harm yourself on this low dose.

Not all of any mineral is completely absorbed either, some remains in the bowel and is excreted. Calcium (when no Vit D is there) can be about 20-25% absorbed for example. I don't have the magnesium numbers, but when it is not absorbed, it causes loose stools (laxative) and tells you not all is getting absorbed.

The most dangerous way to poison yourself with magnesium is by enema. Overuse of enemas like Fleets, may poison a person with low kidney functions or infants. The last time I looked the stats on this are about 20 people/year. It is just not common, and only happens when people misuse products on the market.

People getting Chemo can require very high doses of magnesium, thru special IVs given with the chemo agent-- The rate of administration of those is very slow so the kidneys to not get overwhelmed. Usually it takes almost a day, for those special situations to be administered. Also other high dose administration with lower amounts than chemo IV are given to women with eclampsia of pregnancy. These amounts are huge, and never seen OTC.

Stillfighting 01-30-2011 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 739858)
Here is a good monograph on magnesium.

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocente...als/magnesium/

About 70% of people are low in this mineral intake, because of poor eating habits in US.

Your goal for dosing should be 50% of the RDA. The RDA is in elemental form, not total weight.

Your label should explain how much elemental is in your product.

For SlowMag it is about 64mg/tablet. Taking 2 a day of these, gives 120mg and your RDA is about 350mg. So no you cannot harm yourself on this low dose.

Not all of any mineral is completely absorbed either, some remains in the bowel and is excreted. Calcium (when no Vit D is there) can be about 20-25% absorbed for example. I don't have the magnesium numbers, but when it is not absorbed, it causes loose stools (laxative) and tells you not all is getting absorbed.

The most dangerous way to poison yourself with magnesium is by enema. Overuse of enemas like Fleets, may poison a person with low kidney functions or infants. The last time I looked the stats on this are about 20 people/year. It is just not common, and only happens when people misuse products on the market.

People getting Chemo can require very high doses of magnesium, thru special IVs given with the chemo agent-- The rate of administration of those is very slow so the kidneys to not get overwhelmed. Usually it takes almost a day, for those special situations to be administered. Also other high dose administration with lower amounts than chemo IV are given to women with eclampsia of pregnancy. These amounts are huge, and never seen OTC.

After a spasm attack and charlie horsing in my feet I went to the health food store. Maybe a week ago. The nutritionist recommended "Ionic-Fizz" Calcium Plus. Says it's the most absorbable form of calcium available. (powder form) It has 300 mg of magnesium from carbonate, as well as a list of other vitamins and minerals. I have taken it twice a day and the painful spasms and charlie horses seem to be gone. My foot neuropathy was in flair up mode but has gone back to it's baseline. (bearable) But who really knows with this stuff.....

mrsD 01-30-2011 11:25 AM

Yes, I use Ionic Fizz too, and have posted it in my magnesium thread. It is very fast acting. But for me I get loose if I use it 3 days in a row. (I am just sensitive to magnesium oral).

The SlowMag is more gentle, that's all. SlowMag was originally put on the market for medical doctors to use in cardiac patients.
People on long term diuretic therapy, get very low in magnesium and that can cause cardiac issues. But it has always been over the counter.

I like the Ionic Fizz, though too.

Stillfighting 01-31-2011 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 739890)
Yes, I use Ionic Fizz too, and have posted it in my magnesium thread. It is very fast acting. But for me I get loose if I use it 3 days in a row. (I am just sensitive to magnesium oral).

The SlowMag is more gentle, that's all. SlowMag was originally put on the market for medical doctors to use in cardiac patients.
People on long term diuretic therapy, get very low in magnesium and that can cause cardiac issues. But it has always been over the counter.

I like the Ionic Fizz, though too.

What do you mean by "you get loose"?

mrsD 01-31-2011 10:15 AM

Loose stools and diarrhea.

rose_thorn98 01-31-2011 11:49 AM

My pain Dr. recommended I take magnesium malate, because she said it has shown to help with myofacial pain too.

Electron 05-29-2011 12:48 AM

I normally use iherb.com to buy my supplements, and am looking for Slow Mag, Mag Delay, Mag 64, or Magnesium Lactate. I have been unable to find any of these on iherb. Can someone recommend another good website, or is another form just as well? I have small fiber neuropathy, apparently hereditary. 42-yo male.

On iherb.com there is an Alta Health Products magnesium chloride, 62 mg elemental per tablet. Does this sound ok? I have never heard of the brand.

Thanks
Electron